Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:40 PM   #1

My wife and I purchased the A85 a couple months ago andwe are having difficulty getting good quality prints. The 1st time we downloaded the pics directly to wal-marts on-line photo shop and had the photos mailed directly to us. They were very "digital" and didn't look good at all. So we thought that maybe downloading them over the web hurt the quality of the photo.

Next we went to a Kodak photo maching and downloaded the picturesdirectly from the Flashcard. There pictures are better, but they still look too digital.

We use the "Auto" mode for most of the pictures we take. We do have it set at "super-fine" and "large"...figuring this setting would take the best quality picture.

Is there anybody else with this issue, anyothersettings that I need to change, or is the A85 not going to take quality printable photos??

Anyinformation would be greatly appreciated.

-Chad
gorillaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2

It could be where you are having the prints made. Some places just print the pics on printers. And other places use professional quality wet printing. I have tried the big chains like Wal-Mart, Target, and Rite Aid. The quality was bad from those places.

Try getting your prints from winkflash.com, samsclub.com, photoaccess.com. Check out this review I did a few months back. I would highly suggest you try winkflash.com. Their print quality is excellent.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=winkflash
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

You shouldn't be having such problems, especially since you'reusing superfine and large. STAY OUT of Walmart.

Is there a Costco in your area? I haven't had any problems with them yet. Also, try using P MODE.

What type of pictures are you trying to take? Low-lit, outdoor, indoor with lighting, etc etc?

Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4

I usually use the auto mode, but have ocassionally used the P andACTION modes. The pictures look good when viewed through the viewfinder or on the computer (except for red-eye in almost every picture!). I know very littleabout photography, so I don't evenmess aroundwith the manual settings.

I will get these pictures developed at either aCostco or through one of the websites recommended in a earlier post. Hopefully I'll notice betterquality.

A question about getting photos developled online - doesthe original picture lose any qualityonce it isloaded from the flashcard tothe computer and then uploadedto a website,like winkflash.com?

-Chad
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5

also make sure that you are not using the cameras digital zoom as it will destroy your picture quality
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:35 PM   #6

Good question. The answer is no. That is why you can create multiple copies of the pic on different types of media and the quality won't degrade.

But, it will degrade if you save it as a JPG on your PC. Majority of PC software will do extra compression on a JPG each time it is saved. If you plan on doing any editing of your pics, the best thing to do is copy the original and work on that copy. That way if a mistake is made, you can go back to the original.

Also as stated before, don't use the camera's built in digital zoom. Your best bet would be to disable it so you don't have to worry about it.

And one last thing, I just had some pics printed at Ritz Camera. The quality is awesome!!!. The cost per print is a little more though. www.ritzpix.com
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:55 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info!
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:08 PM   #8

Instead of JPG, what should you save your picture as?