Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:04 AM   #1

I just came across a serious limitation on the Canon S1-IS.
No display of the zoom factor, or focal length.

For most newbies, like me, this does not at first appear to be a deciding factor because, heck, just look through the viewfinder or at the display and zoom to frame your picture. Why would you care what the focal length is?

Once you get going with the manual settings and have any desire to control depth of field, it sure as heck would be nice of you knew the focal length is since this is a required number for the calculation!

I only just discovered this as I am trying to get more creative with my photographs and downloaded DOF Master for my Palm to carry around in my camera bag when I am out hunting birds. Great program, but it is only any good at full zoom due to this limitation.

I can't believe Canon would leave this out. Just stupid.

Ok, enough of my rant. Here's my questions:

- Has anyone found any way around this, perhaps some means to "estimate" the focal length between 5.8 and 58 mm?

- Has anyone heard that Canon may be so kind as to provide this essential feature in a firmware update?
ghubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:24 PM   #2

You already have the top and bottom numbers - if there is a zoom setting that you like in between - just save as a custom setting and then check the exif information on a shot that you have taken.
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:43 PM   #3

My S1IS displays the zoom factor all the way up to 10x in one color and above 10x in a different color. (Though I seldom use anything above 10x because the extra is digital & not optical).

I'm sorry but I don't recall whether I had to set the camera to display this information.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:19 AM   #4

Hi,Herb is correct about the display and as far as I am aware its always displayed as Herb described .As far as zoom lengths go you could probably make up a quick reference chart and add it to your palm pilot.I think if you look on a DOF website they usually have a conversion chart on the sitefor digital to equivalant 35mm focal lengths (multiply by 1.6 to get 35mm equiv ?)

For bird stlye photos at max zoom I like the telephoto separation of fore ground/background effectgiven by shooting at wide open and only bother to go smaller if I think its going to move and want a bit of margin for error with focus.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:49 AM   #5

Your S1 displays the zoom factor?
Well then, there is hope! Wonder how I fix this...

My camera displays 10x when you get to the end of travel, and then higher zoom factors in a different colour if you have digital zoom turned on. Below 10x there is no zoom factor displayed.

As to making a chart, it would do little good without knowing what your focal length is, and the only ones I know for sure before taking the pic and looking at the EXIF is 1x and 10x.

As you say, for most bird pics I am out near the end of travel, so I like the previous suggestion of setting a custom setting at say 7x. I would take a bit of trial and error (set custom, take pic, look at EXIF, correct, set custom, look at EXIF, correct, etc.) but could be done.
ghubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:09 AM   #6

I just checked my S1IS - and I have to apologise - I was wrong!
The camera only starts to display the zoom factor - in white - when it reaches 10x. Then if I zoom further it displays (in blue) 13x, then 16x, 20x, 25x and 32x.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:33 PM   #7

Whoops! sorry! I should have looked again myself.Just goes to show how unimportant I find that feature although I like to know that I am not using digital zoom.

Brendon:O
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:40 AM   #8

I would have preferred to have the zoom display as well. I have no idea why it wasn't included
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:09 PM   #9

ghubbers wrote:
Quote:
- Has anyone found any way around this, perhaps some means to "estimate" the focal length between 5.8 and 58 mm?
the 35mm equivalent focal lengths on this camera are 38mm-380mm (according to canon)

1x - 38mm

2x - 76mm

3x - 114mm

and so on.....

but i do not think that the camera will display what zoom factor you are at while you are taking the picture so, you will have to learn to estimate that based on experience
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote