Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:41 PM   #1

I am thinking of buying an S70 for all the usual reasons, particularly the 28mm lens and the RAW output.

However, it looks to me that the S70 is already yesterday's technology. Pretty slow to start up, poor AF performance, poor resolution and small 1.8" LCD, USB 1.1 etc.

The competition are all bringing out improved models, but Canon did not when it went from the S60 to the S70, except for the higher resolution. No DIGIC II for instance.

Anyone got hold of any rumours/fact from Canon on the successor to the S70 and when?

Thanks.

jrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2

dont hold your breath unless you can hold it until.....septemer

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:38 PM   #3

That's a long time to wait in the digital camera world. Have you heard anything that will happen in September?

Do you agree with my thought that the S70 is in dire need of updating?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:29 AM   #4

march-ish and september-ish are the times that canon generally rolls out the new product

the S70 isnt that old and i have no complaints with it

if you want a small 7mp from canon with a better movie mode and digic II go with the SD500
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:58 AM   #5

I agree that it is a good camera, but I still think it is looking outdated in the areas I mentioned.

I like it though for the 28mm wide angle and therefore other cameras cannot compete.

I just think that Canon is lagging behind with the S70 and an update is needed to keep what is an excellent camera up with the competition.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:58 AM   #6

I agree withyou, jrling. The S70 is starting to look a little out-of-date now. However, it takes absolutelystunning quality pictures. I want to buy one, butI feel like they might announce a replacement tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after... You know? So I'm undecided on what to do.

I mean the S60, (which is basically the same camera),has been out for almost a wholeyear!! The prices should have dropped more by now.

Does anyoneknow what I'm talking about??

However, if they did replace it, the quality of the pictures better be just as good, if not better. Otherwise, I'm picking upone of these babies.

:?
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7

Glad to hear you agree.

I have also thought that prices for the S60 compared to the S70 are poor value.

Having said that, I also feel that pushing up the megapixel count and keeping the sensor size the same, is a 'bad thing'. Noise tends to go up and the extra megapixels are not really noticed in improving quality unles one is mega cropping or printing very large prints - neither of which I do.

One always knows that a new model will come and spoil one's latest purchase, so that's not why I am waiting. However, when it is evident to amateurs like me that a model is looking well out of date, one has to question why?

Have you found any rumours sites in Japan commenting on any new models?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #8

I haven't found out anything about replacements. But I willbe looking... I'm glad I found someone in the same situation as me. I love that S70. I will get itor the S60 if nothing better comes out. I have a deadline, but it's still a ways off.

I agree that using the same sized sensor in a 7.1 mp camera wasn't the best thing....That's why I may settle for the S60. It's probably moreresponsive andprobably shows less noise than the S70. However, if I'm giving up 2 megapixels I would expect the price to be at least $80-$90 cheaper than the S70. It's barely $50 lessasof this morning.:ak47: I wouldlike to be able to make a few very large prints, (advantage S70)...

Thanks. I will let you allknow if I find out anything...
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 3:01 PM   #9

It sounds like we are on the same wavelength.

In England where I am the prices are even clsoer (but a lot higher that your's - Rip-Off Britain!).

It's the lens - 28mm wide angle and excellent quality generally that really does it for me. For landscapes which I tend to go for, there is a lot of difference compared with 35mm widest focal length.

I have been looking at the Ricoh Caplio R1 which seems to have 28 mm wide angle and a good quality lens in a very compact package. OK not the full manual ability for creative shots nor RAW format (but it does have TIFF uncompressed), but a lot lot cheaper £200 in UK.

Cheers

Jonathan

Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:26 PM   #10

I paid $420.00 after couponfor my S-70 from Dell around Nov 2004 and it is still ticking. The pics are so vibrant compared to Kodak and Sony camera's. Canon is the way to go. I dont think they are going to come out with an 9 or 10 MegaPixel for a while b/c they are selling those really Professional Looking Digital /SLR camera's that are 10 MP or so.That would be cuttinginto their profits I think. Besides, I have been told that Ican blow one of my 7 MPphotos into a Poster size and not sacrifice the resolution. Of course I haven't triedthis yet, but my sourceworks at a Professional Photo Lab in TallahasseeFL. I hope thishelps. Check out some of my Macros ........

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

The forum is called (s70 users please answer).
tonymac373 is offline   Reply With Quote