Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:16 PM   #1

Hi all,
Got my new G6 this week. Camera works fine but I'm having real problems transferring photos to my PC. i loaded the supplied software following the instructions. Transferred 2 lots of photos but then no more. All i get when ever I connect is a message telling me the USB device is malfunctioning. I've tried removing the software and reloading, different cable, different usb port, still no go. I've even tried another PC and still the same message. Its driving me potty. I've searched this forum and google but it looks like i'm the only person to have this fault.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

I've never used the usb port thing before for transfers. I'll have to give it a try sometime. But I reckon it saves a lot of annoyance by just grabbing one of those cheap USB Dazzle brand card readers. I prefer to use a card reader. They're inexpensive, and they're compact/light.

If your camera is still under warranty, then maybe you can get it checked out. It's possible that something's gone wrong on the camera end. Otherwise, maybe if there's a big camera store near you, then they may have the G6 on demonstration with PC hooked up etc. So they might be able to see if your camera is behaving properly as well.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:32 PM   #3

I've always had trouble with dl using Zoombrowser, all the way back to my G2.

Did you install other software? I've heard that Elements 3willtry to redirectUSB downloads.

This won't fix your problem, but there is another way to dl pics to your computer. Assuming your PC has a USB 2 port,a USB 2 card reader is very inexpensive and is MUCH faster than dl directly from your G6, which has a USB 1 connection. I can't enphasize strongly enough just how much faster that will be... I can dl a full 512 MB card in 2- 3 minutes with the reader.

Hope this helps...

Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:33 PM   #4

I was thinking of a card reader as well but i'm still concerned as to why it wont transfer. The camera is only 5 days old but it was a grey import (originally from outside europe but sold by a UK dealer) I did'nt know this until the camera arrived! so it's not covered by the UK/Europe warranty. I'm gonna ring them tommorow and find out what they say.

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5

I've had four Canon cameras (A20, A85, G3, G6) and the transfer software supplied with each camera is brutal.

I would purchase a cheap USB2.0 card reader and use that. It is much easier and will be an overall better process.

I know it doesn't fix your current problem, but it could help.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote