Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:46 PM   #1

A510 owners please help me understand!
I take about 100 shots before batteries run out. Is this normal?

Let me give you some details: accu- Uniross NiMH 2300 mAh, charger- Uniross Sprint.
Camera set to maximum resolution (L), compression Superfine, LCD on, flash used moderately.

Just 100 photos normal, when Canon documentation specifies "approx. 300 photos" ??
tom sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #2

If this is your first charge with those batteries, it is about right.

If they have been used a bit, assuming they were used properly, then it could be that you have 1 cell which is defective... Your charger is not the best... It could also be due to taking pictures in cold temperature(-10°C and lower). It also depends on the time since you took your batteries out of the charger...

As you can see there are lots of things which vary... tho in most cases 1 thing is not enough to explain such duration, combined you may get to this result.

If your charger does not trickle charge or does not charge the batteries completly(which he does not), then you are starting with weaker batteries­. If you put the batteries in the camera right after u bought them(before charging), then you could have damaged them. If you have used something such as a flashlight to fully discharge them, you could have damaged them. If you left your charged batteries out of a charger for a long period of time(2 weeks), then they lost power.

The self discharge rate of NiMH batteries is about 3% per day, it depends on the temperature... This does not mean to recharge them more often than they need, simply that if your batteries run out of juice a month after you charged them, then you shouldn't expect as many pictures as if you charged them and took pictures continously until they died.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:28 PM   #3

Nicolas wrote:
Quote:
If this is your first charge with those batteries, it is about right.
If they have been used a bit, assuming they were used properly, then it could be that you have 1 cell which is defective...
I actually have two sets and I recharged them 3-4 times so far.

Quote:
Your charger is not the best... It could also be due to taking pictures in cold temperature(-10°C and lower). It also depends on the time since you took your batteries out of the charger...
All shots have been taken indoors. I took the batteries out of the charger after the red light went off. Let them about 15 mins to cool off then start using them.

Quote:
If you put the batteries in the camera right after u bought them(before charging), then you could have damaged them. If you have used something such as a flashlight to fully discharge them, you could have damaged them. If you left your charged batteries out of a charger for a long period of time(2 weeks), then they lost power.
Didn't do any of those things. However I don't know how long have they been sitting on the store shelf.

How many shots would you call "normal" for an A510?
Do I have to worry about something being wrong with my camera or it's just the batteries/charger fault?
Thanks alot.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:47 PM   #4

I do not know what is normal for the A510, i do not own that camera... I own the A95...

Well, if they have been recharged 3-4 times and that you did not used them before first recharging...

Then I assume that the only other possibility is a problem with your camera...
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:16 AM   #5

You mentioned moderate use of the flash. I'm not sure what is moderate, so it would probably be a good test to find out how many of the photos (in that 100 shots) were flash photos.

The other thing is that this camera only takes TWO AA batteries (not FOUR). So it'd be asking quite a lot from the two batteries to keep chugging out juice for the flash and the LCD screen at the same time.

I think that the best thing to do here is to get 8 AA batteries, and then have two chargers, each of these can charge 4 batteries. Then you won't need to worry too much about running out of power. And before you go out on a big outting..use cellophane wrap to wrap pairs of batteries, and keep the wrapped pairs in a ziplock bag. The cellophane wrap just helps you know which batteries are charged up.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:18 AM   #6

I also forgot to mention that it's possible that the '300' shot average could mean 300 shots without flash. This is where the manufacturer could be a bit more specific in the description of the power performance.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:36 AM   #7

I own the a510 and I got about 80 to 100 shots using mostly flash on,and 2 nimh batteries,on m1 mode.
bluecanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:07 AM   #8

After looking around, I think that Kenny is right, the 300 pictures are without flash... Its crazy how manufacturers can play with the truth. One thing which was great with the other A series camera was their battery life... but now if its down to 100 shots, that is just terrible and the least I can say is that I happy that my A95 lasts 400 shots with 100% LCD use and 50% flash use, when used inside. When used outside in winter, I can take less shots, but still a good number.

I can hardly imgine myself having to change batteries after a day of productive photography here... What would it be like when I will be in vacation ? That's really a bad move on Canon's part...
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:52 PM   #9

I think I've got some good news. It appears my Uniross batteries are finally taking off. After the fifth recharge (which took about 1h25mins - about 25 mins longer than the previous ones) I can tell you this:

Number of shots with the first pair of batteries: 181 (18 with flash-that's 10%).
Number of shots with the second pair of batteries- NO FLASH: 277.
All shots taken indoors, maximum resolution, compression Superfine, LCD on.

So, it seems nothing's wrong with my A510, it's just a matter of "warming up" the batteries and getting them "ready to work".
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:21 PM   #10

Actually no, its either your camera or your batteries... Apparently CIPA standards are taking in consideration 50% flash use. I suggest you check if u don't have a problem with either because with my camera, A95, I did what Canon said, I managed 409 shots with at least 50% flash use over a period of nearly 1 month... And 350 pictures with my second with about 100 pictures taken in cold temperatures where the camera stood outside for about 2 hours with the LCD on all the time.