Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:55 PM   #1

Had decided on the A95 over the S60 when I read some nice articles about the SD400. Not sure ifit will be too small for my grip but the specs sound great. Any coments or advise as I try to wrestle with this Canon buying decision??? A95 - S60 - or SD400???

I know they are 3 different cameras - I like the feel of the S60 - the wider lens - the battery and LCD on the A95 and what I have read about the SD400 - may like the video capabilities.

Most of my pictures are normal use - everyday photos of the dogs, vacations, family, etc - not very involved in any manual settings since I haven't worked on that nor sure I want to....even thought about the Nikon 5200 because of the ease and preset programs - but sure any one of these Canon will blow it away...correct?

Please help - I want to get off this site and take some pictures!
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

You need to just buy one and just go take pics. If you wait for the SD400 what do you do if, shortly thereafter, Canon introdues the A105 with 7 megapixels, digic III and an even better movie mode? You could wait forever for the "perfect" model, which, by the way, still does not exist.

This every-few-months-and-an-upgrade-shows-up mentality is not going away in the digicam point&shoot catagory. You need to make a decision, buy a model based on whats available NOW and tell yourself you'll be happy with it for a while.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3

You are right - would you lean toward the Canon or Nikon I mentioned?? Just looking for opinions - will buy something tomorrow and be happy....
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:28 PM   #4

I would buy the A95 because I'm a confirmed Canon user, and because I already have 5 GB's worth of compact flash cards I use with my digital SLR's that would fit! I also like the fact I could buy and emmediately use AA batteries off the shelf if I were somewhere and unexpectedly ran out of juice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:24 PM   #5

Then the S60 or A95 would be a great choice over the NIKON - that is what I will go look at - let's see what I come home with tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:11 AM   #6

The SD line (eg. SD400) is an ultra-compact. So like nearly all ultra-compacts, it has very few manual controls. However, it is very small and hence can be carried in your pocket.

The S line (eg. S70) is a compact that is still small but not as small as the ultra-compacts. It has full manual controls, good wide-angle, and is a good feature-oriented camera.

The A line is sort of a family all-around-use camera. This offers full manual controls and offer more bang for the buck (i.e. is cheaper for a given feature).

If you don't care about having thte ability to set the camera shutter speed, for example, I would go with an ultra-compact (like SD300/SD400/etc; you should also compare a competitor like Panasonic FX7). However, if you want more controls and don't really care about size, I would pick either the S line or the cheaper-but-equally-good A line.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:00 PM   #7

Thanks for your help - I am staying with the A95 - although read some great stuff about the SONY 150...may have to check that out.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:47 PM   #8

Walked out of the store with the Sony P200 - one of the things I liked - when you change the mode dial, it shows on the LCD screen what you are changing to - great for someone with failing eyesight and not wanting to grab for glasses everytime I make a change on the dial....or having to read the dial.

I think I am going to like this camera.