Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:54 PM   #11

"If you truly believe that Canon would intentionally program an error into their cameras in order to improve their bottom line, you probably shouldn't be buying a camera from them."

Good point. I certainly don't believe Canon intentionally programmed the e18 error into their cameras; however, the problem has been much too prevalent and well-documented for them NOT to know about it. Canon has shown a definite lack of integrity by not admitting the problem and by charging owners to fix it. Unfortunately, this sort of corporate conduct seems to be common these days. Toshiba was finally forced to exit the digicam business because they could no longer sell their crappy cameras for a profit, and there was a common failure among Olympus C-5060 cameras which the company has never acknowledged. I assume the days of falling upon a sword in disgrace have passed in Japan.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:47 AM   #12

Actually i was jocking about the part of Canon integrating the Error E18 in there Camerazzz... but still i remain:Oneutral. It could be a fabrication problem sometimes; thus beside recalling back all cameras designed (which would be a disaster to the company) Canon wont admit it.

Finaly, the E18 seems a lens problem which cannot retract back so the camera freezes..i donno there is plenty of posts on the net about that thread.

On the Canon website: one can read that E18 is a lens problem, and i remember some other error E50 if i remember well... (Support section)

Canon recommends to avoid touching the lens..

Xpertech
xpertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:56 AM   #13

OK i am back according to CANON Support I quote the following:
E18 Error:

When a camera error occurs, an error code ("E18") will be displayed.

The "E18" error code may be displayed if you apply pressure to the zoom lens, lens barrier or surrounding area when handling the camera.

Please observe the following when you operate the camera to avoid applying pressure to the lens and surrounding area:

Hold the camera so that your fingers do not touch the zoom lens when you are shooting.

Make sure the camera is off before you put it back in the soft case.

If you cannot clear the error code by turning the camera off and then on again, or if an error code is displayed frequently, a camera malfunction may have occurred.

Please contact the retail store where you purchased the camera or the nearest Canon service center.
So the posts who said they got an E18 error, have you ever touched the LENS?
Xpertech
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:49 AM   #14

"So the posts who said they got an E18 error, have you ever touched the LENS?"

I don't imagine the owners of Nikon, Olympus, Kodak, Sony, etc., digital cameras handle their cameras any differently than the owners of Canon cameras. I don't see a pattern of similar problems with those brands. The e18 error isNOT caused by operator misuse.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:21 PM   #15

I've had my SD110 for8 months and never had a problem of any kind.

Mark
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:11 PM   #16

Basically, if the Error E18 is not due for any MISuse by Canon owners, so it is a real camera default that will show up one day with time perhaps...
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:09 PM   #17

i just got my CANON A95 today seems great camera. wowooooooow so many options i will test the camera to he maximum take as much as pictures as i can .

woups i touched the lens souple of times by mistake but nothing happened.

I noticed that the camera is excellent for all day shots but i get fuzzy snapshots sometimes i guess i moved or shaked my hand + for nightshots are not so great.

Carlos
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:07 PM   #18

My A75 had the E18 error. When the camera was turned on the lens would try to extend, but get stuck. Then the error E18 would show on the display.

I fiddled with the lens, by turning on the camera and attempting to pull the lens out when it extended.

I was finally able to get the lens to extend and now the camera works fine.

This appears to be a case of the lens mechanicals getting off track.
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:57 AM   #19

thanks for your feedback...

i noticed that my A95 lenses shutdown with a little noise when u turn off the camera,

as if they have difficulty to close, but they do close at last.

I guess one day they will be stuck like yours and then get E18 error. But i will now

what to do at least witht eh lenses....

Also careful my camera had 3 BURNED PIXELS on the LCD screen it pissed me off.

I returned the camera and got a new one in exchange.

Carlo$
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:22 PM   #20

My one friend had an A40 going on 4 1/2 to 5 year no errors. My other friend has an A70 going on 3 years I think. No errors. I know another person here at work that has an A70 for quite some time don't know how long, no problems. So I decided to get an A75. I had it since December. so far no problems. I too read about the dreaded E18 error, however , knowing people that had canon cameras for a while I felt confident and so far has not let me down.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote