Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:40 PM   #21

Do not buy a cannon. I am trying to get as many people to call attorney Jim Smith at 1-877-667-9489. There is no cost to you. I have a canon s 400 elph with the e18 error. The problem, like many others have had, occurs just after the warranty expires. Canon said they would exchange the camera for a refurbished model at a cost of $150, or upgrade to a s410 for $175. Add $10 shipping. This is outrageous after spending over $450 just over a year and a half ago.Please call Jim. Let's get this problem rectified at no cost to us. Thanks.
hunter53151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:24 PM   #22

You have to consider the cameras that have an E18 error that doesn't reset itself in relation to the many hundreds of thousands of A Series cameras Canon have sold . Any motorised lens mechanism should have some safeguard for protecting the motor if the lens is blocked. Maybe Canon should have made the warning "Lens" as some other Powershots and it might be more obvious why the message appears instead of the rather cryptic "E18".
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:44 AM   #23

My son recently got an E18 error on his SD110. As it is only 4 months old, we sent it back to Canon for repairs. They claim it was dropped and won't fix it under warranty and now want a flat rate of $150 to fix it. Any advice ? This is really outrageous, a new one can be had for not much more.
JeffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:58 AM   #24

I got the E18 error on my Canon A70 alot from time to time, but it usually goes away after a few restarts. About 2 weeks ago it happened again when the batteries were low and when the lens was closing. I recharged the batteries and it still would not work. I then tried the following turned the camera upside down with the lens against the table. Tapped it lightly while turned it on and it closed.

It is nowoperational again. Seems like a cog in the lens mechanism was stuck or something.

Cheers,

Mick
mmccarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:28 PM   #25

I got an e-18 error in my A-80 last week. The camera is about two and half years old, and has never been abused. I tried various other techniques to fix it, but nothing worked. Putting the camera face down on a table and then powering it up did the trick. Camera works fine now, and the error message is gone. Thanks
-PB
pbflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:38 AM   #26

HI I am back... yeah I posted originally the post about the error E18 with Canon Cameras. I indeed I donno why did the stupid thing of buying the Canon A95 5Mp. Nooooooonp the camera did not display any error... it is working fine actually... great quality pictures, perhaps batteries hungry monster but it till know, never let me down.

I shot movies, and till now I arrived to 1250 snapshots.

But, I have to admit that all people like us or me who bought a Canon are gambling... in fact every month I see that some of us got an error and thus a new post arise from nowwhere claiming the error E18: The lens stuck and the camera stops working. The mechanism of the lens of Canon isn't good...

anyhow, I will do a review of my camera soon on my website:
http://www.xpertech.tk
Carlos
xpertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:44 AM   #27

From hunter a couple of posts up. Thanks by the way.. I think that by contacting the following person you can kind of be signing a Petition:

Jim Smith at 1-877-667-9489
Try to Explain to him the Error E18 you got like Hunter's problem too

I hope that Canon will start to be realist about that problem.

Carlos
xpertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:00 AM   #28

Hi, we have not seem many/if any of the errors you have had with the new Canon A95, so give it a go, it is an excellent camera and great value for money.

cheers
Joe
http://www.e-digicam.com
e-digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:02 AM   #29

Mick!!! Thank you very much for your post... this just saved me from an emergency upgrade.....

I appreciate you posting how to get around the E18 Error on my A70. I have had my A70 for 2.5 years and 2500 pics and many, many movies with no real problems except as another user said... the operatior error seems to be reoccuring.

Thanks again for the fix to the E18 Error.
olruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:27 PM   #30

i have a canon S1 Is and a S330 from 2002, the only time i have had card errors is when i do the format on the computer vs the camera, the s330 still works fine 3 yrs later..come on guys, move on with the probs? this is getting old?
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote