Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:34 PM   #1

I've read numerous reports of people coimplaining about a 10 second delay between shots when using the Flash in the new A510 powershot from Canon. (including myself!)

I called Canon tech support, and they were able to reproduce the 8-10 sec delay with their own caemra, while I waited on the line. (!!!)

If you are having the same issue, please call Canon Tech support at 1 (800) 828-4040. The more people that call-in, the better.

This could potentially be fixed with a Firmware upgrade.

gnolivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:05 PM   #2

What steps are needed to reproduce the problem?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:12 PM   #3

For me: "P" mode, force flash ON, take a picture.

You should get a 8-10 sec delay with black screen until the time the camera is ready for the next shot.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4

I put my A510 in "Continuous Shoot" mode with the flash forced on, and I can shoot about 3 shots in 10 seconds (in other words, an interval of about 5 seconds between shots). You might be having a battery problem.A defect in your batteries could prevent them from delivering power fast enough to recharge the flash quickly.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:00 PM   #5

It looks like I get similar results using continous mode.

What happens if you use single shot mode, in "P" and using forced flash?

Daniel T wrote:
Quote:
I put my A510 in "Continuous Shoot" mode with the flash forced on, and I can shoot about 3 shots in 10 seconds (in other words, an interval of about 5 seconds between shots). You might be having a battery problem.*A defect in your batteries could prevent them from delivering power fast enough to recharge the flash quickly.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:28 PM   #6

When shooting in P mode at the highest resolution with SuperFine compression and a forced flash, I get about an 8-second delay between shots.First I see the "review" image on the LCD for 3 seconds (the default), then I see a dark LCD screen while the upper indicator light blinks orange ("flash is charging"), then the LCD screen comes back on (in about 7 seconds) and I'm ready to shoot again.There is a short shutter lag before the next shot fires, so the overall interval is about 8 seconds.

I personally don't find this objectionable, but I can see how it would be very disturbingfor anyone who wants to be able to take rapid-sequence shots while using the flash. This is obviously not the best camera to fit that scenario. Otherwise I think the A510 is a great little camera and I am very happy with mine.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:26 PM   #7

I see, so there's probably not much that can be done about it, since it would probably need a hardware upgrade to fix that.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:10 AM   #8

Perhaps an external powered flash?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:21 AM   #9

Yah...but unfortunately, I read that the external flash is a slave flash, which fires only when the inbuilt flash fires.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Yah...but unfortunately, I read that the external flash is a slave flash, which fires only when the inbuilt flash fires.
I just did a quick test. If you turn the flash intensity down to 1/3 it recycles much faster.