Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

Both of these cameras seem to be about $50 to $70 apart. They are both 5 megapixels and last year's models. The S60 seems to be more durable, yet I am little concerned about the way the camera powers with the sliding cover. I am actually more concerned with picture quality and speed. Which one of these cameras has the better pictures and the faster shot to shot shutter. Also being that these cameras are last year's models, are they still good enough to purchase today or there are better cameras for the same amount of $$$$ coming out today. I thank you for your input
mrminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:25 PM   #2

S60.

They are last year's models. Butthere isn't a camera now thathas the combination of features that the S60/S70 has.I seriously don't think there is a better camera (for picture quality, manual features)than theCanon S60/S70for that money. Having said that, I'm waiting to see ifCanon comes outwith a newerversion. If not, I'm getting the S60 or S70. If I had to buy a camera today, it would be one of these two.

Oh and by the way, that sliding cover is a bonus.

:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:43 PM   #3

I was in a similar decision making mode between the two and on the way to buy the A95 when I read many awesome reviews about the SONY W5 and P200.

After careful review the only advantage (for me) on the Canon is it has a swival LCD screen. The SONY has many advantages including a very long battery life - both the SONY infolithium and AA batteries have very long life, changes madeto the camera settings are displayed on the on the huge2.5" LCD screen (large LCD another bonus)which means I don't have to run for my glasses to read the mode button - they both take great photos evenin low light.

I bought theP200 7MP for the same price the S60 is available but returned it because I did not need a 7MP camera and bought the W5. Itis 5.1MP, just introduced new model and won't have to worry about all the "ERROR" messages I have read so much about on several different CANON products.

I am a newbie and have done quite a bit of research. I have nothing against CANON - in fact WANTED my new camera very badly to be a CANON. My personal opinion is with today's incredible technology, there is no reason for those types of errors. I have not read about anyone else having those issues. Again, with technology, planned obsolescence may be easier than we realize andperhapswe accept it because, after all, itIS a CANON. I hope I am wrong and it is just a technology glitch, but, if so, that means CANON has1) NOT listened to their customers, 2) don't have the technology to fix the problem,or 3) have realized the sporadic errors are quite profitable.

I really wantedmy new camera to be a CANON (have a new iP5000 printer) and wanted it to be the best for me - I wanted a camera that would take great pictures at high resolution, start fast (P200 in about 1 second) and ready when the photo oportunities arise. I believe I have found that in the SONY DSC-W5 and the P200, and very unfortunately, not in the CANON A95 or S60that I had originally decided on.....

Hope this helps - just another's opinion.
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:56 PM   #4

Both the A95 and S60 are great cameras... The S60 has a little better image quality. It will do shot to shot without flash at about 2s, while A95 does it at 2.4s...

In burst mode they will both go to a max of 2fps for 8 frames at Superfine in 5mp mode. If you use the S60 in RAW, it will go downt o 1.5fps for a max of 2 frames. When I say max, this is something nice with Canon cameras, it is maximum for that speed, afterwards it drops to a considerably slower rate, but takes pictures at the same time as it clears the buffer.

Both cameras are not ultra fast at startup, 2.5s for the A95 and 3.2s for the S60.

Here is a sample gallery of some pics I took with my A95: http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:57 PM   #5

I sort of agree withdmz19's pov. There was a time that I would only say buy Canon but competition have been good to consumers. It has actually elevated the quality of brands that we used to look down at. Although, I'm not saying Canon is bad, I still would want to prefer to buy Canon, but I'd say look around more.

Between S60 and A95, I would say it depends on your shooting style or what you want to shoot at. In my case, I'd go for A95, not exactly because I feel that it is a better camera than the S60 but rather because it suits me better. I do a lot of outdoor activities where weight and practicality may be an issue. Not exactly that A95 is lighter but rather bringing extra batteries might. I have other equiptments using AAs, and it's more practical for me that if the situation dictates, I can utilize my camera batteries on my other equiptments or vice-versa. I have been in a lot of situation in the mountains where in I have to pass up a photo opportunity simply because I'm in a position wherein I cannot look thru the viewfinder nor at what'sdisplayed onthe LCD. The vari-angle (swivel LCD) would be very helpful inthis kind of situation, in fact far more helpful than having a better zoom (S60 vs A95). As for quality, put the A95 and S60 on the same settings and take a picture of the same subject at the same time, I doubt that we'd really notice any significant differences or if there is, the one with lesser quality would still be considered great. Also, I kinda like the design of A95. But then again, that's just my case. Bottom line, don't just really on camera specifications, throw in your personal preferences and needs into your criteria when choosing.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6

Sure, every camera has its pros and cons. And the Sonys are no exception. They are great little cameras; excellent quality;easy to use and great pictures.TheCanons (S60/S70), however, offer morecontrols for the user and a zoom range that is much more flexible for many scenarios.

When I think of the P200, for instance, I can't help but think "Granny Cam".

I haven't seen any E-18 errors, orother errors, reported for the S-series or G-series cameras.

:|
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:20 PM   #7

went ahead and took a chance - bought the Canon A95 - the SONY with memory was going to cost $165 more - that was a no brainer...
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:44 PM   #8

dmz19 wrote:
Quote:
went ahead and took a chance - bought the Canon A95 - the SONY with memory was going to cost $165 more - that was a no brainer...
Good move! You'll definitely be more than satisfied with the A95.All the camerasunder consideration are very good cameras.

Please keep us posted.

It must feel good to know you just saved $165.