Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:00 PM   #1

In Features & Controls of these 2 cameras is reported possible use of AA Lithium cells. I wrote to Canon Support and the answer is : "never use lithium batteries because these battery types may overheat the camera ".

I'm confused. I would like to buy one of these cameras and have the possibility to use this kind of long lasting batteries during trips inareas where power sources are not available.

Can somebody give me additional information

Thanks in advance...........terron
terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:01 PM   #2

I have considered using non-rechargeable "Energizer e2 AA Lithium Batteries" to run my PowerShot A510 during multi-day backpacking trips. The weight savings would be considerable, and every ounce counts when you're backpacking! However, I have also heard that lithium batteries can become quite hot when placed under heavy load, i.e. taking multiple pictures in rapid succession, especially with flash. The obvious approach here would be to refrain from rapid-fire shooting and to be more aware of the camera's temperature, especially at the battery compartment. I don't see how Canon could expect every user to be this diligent, so the safest route for them is to disallow lithium batteries altogether. That's my guess.

My approach would be to buy a pair of AA lithium batteries and try them out before embarking on any long trips, paying particular attention to battery temperatures. I don't know if lithium battery usage would void Canon's warranty, but it might, so that's another consideration. There is, of course, the Eveready guarantee: "Eveready will repair or replace, at their option, any device damaged by these AA lithium batteries, if the device is sent to Eveready Battery Company." This would be tough to prove, though. Suppose your camera gets smokin' hot and then stops working. Unless something obvious has melted, there will be no physical evidence. Good luck convincing Eveready!

Probably there are others out there who are successfully using these batteries. Sure would like to hear from them!
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:38 PM   #3

Maybe you can write back to them once again and ask them why on page XX of your manual...it says possible use of AA lithium batteries, while the person on the other end of the phone/computer says 'never use them'. That is...if the reckon you shouldn't use them...then why does the manual say something different?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:43 PM   #4

Instead of using lithium ones, you can just use the highest capacity Nimh ones you can find. Just charge-up a hole bunch of them (you might need two separate chargers), and wrap them in plastic-wrap. Just unwrap them when you need them while you're on your trip...and stick them into your camera.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:26 PM   #5

Actually, AA lithium batteries are not mentioned anywhere in the manual. The manual says to use NiMH or Alkaline batteries.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6

Thanks DanielT. Yah...better not use those lithium ones then...just in case.

But the energizer page reckons they're for digital cameras too...

http://www.energizer-eu.com/en/e2_lithium/default.htm
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:06 PM   #7

Thanks Daniel and Kenny for your replies.

The Features & Controls that I mentioned are in Steve reviews, and not in Canon manuals. That's why I wroteI'm confused. I like very long trips abroad and often in areas with no power available or frequent blackouts. That's why I would like to use AA Lithium. Another issue is avoiding to carry a bunch of different socket/plug-in (there are so many kinds around the world !)

Regards............terron

terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:36 AM   #8

For those who are interested, I also posted this topic and a link to this thread in the Batteries and Powerpacks forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=51