Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:11 AM   #1

Hi, everybody. I'm an amateurphotographer from Turkey. I have a newborn now and I want to take beautiful pictures. I'm more concerned with picture quality and speed. Also maybe some of you knows I can't use flash when taking photos of my girl. Ihave reading this forum for 6 months. With lack of AiAF, S1 IS is not suitable for me on my indoor pictures. But it has 10x zoom and a adjustable lcd. Worst is SLR seems. Can you help me which one is suitable for me? I will buy it from bhphotovideo.com. The only site which ships international. S60 has 1.8 inc LCD. 28mm wide-angle lens also helps me indoor pictures. someone who uses these two, if write his opinion I will really pleased. Thank you very much....

I really missed it! Can I stamp date/time on pictures. S400 has a date/time stamp icon on its menu but I can't find it on S1 IS's menu.....
ohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:41 AM   #2

ohara wrote:
Quote:
Hi, everybody. I'm an amateurphotographer from Turkey. I have a newborn now and I want to take beautiful pictures. I'm more concerned with picture quality and speed. Also maybe some of you knows I can't use flash when taking photos of my girl. Ihave reading this forum for 6 months. With lack of AiAF, S1 IS is not suitable for me on my indoor pictures. But it has 10x zoom and a adjustable lcd. Worst is SLR seems. Can you help me which one is suitable for me? I will buy it from bhphotovideo.com. The only site which ships international. S60 has 1.8 inc LCD. 28mm wide-angle lens also helps me indoor pictures. someone who uses these two, if write his opinion I will really pleased. Thank you very much....

I really missed it! Can I stamp date/time on pictures. S400 has a date/time stamp icon on its menu but I can't find it on S1 IS's menu.....
I don't understand how no AiAF is a problem. Why would you want the camera to try to guess what you want to focus on? With the S1 IS you can manually place the autofocus square wherever you want it to be, or simply keep it in the center and autofocus on the point you want and then move the camera slightly to capture the exact composition you want.

I don't think the S1 IS can put a date and time on the actual photo it takes, but that information is included, of course, with the jpeg it produces if you want to add it later.
S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3

Hi,

you should really figure out for yourself what you want first. Those two cameras are about quite different from each other--one is an ultrazoom, the other is a wide angle cam.

Ask yourself if you'll be using the long telephoto a lot. If yes, certainly consider the S1 IS. Otoh, ff you're planning on mostly taking pics indoors, and merely like THE IDEA of a long zoom, the wide angle will come in much handier.

I have a G2 and Oly 740 (soon to be replaced by FZ3). I use the G2 indoors and landscapes/buildings, the Oly for wildlife/animal shots mostly.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote