Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

Hi All,

I intend to purchase a new digicam to replace my current one, Canon PowerShot S500 which now seems too compact for me and lacks many manual functions though it can produce very good shots. To be honest, I'm impressed by the make Canon only so I have decided to buy another Canon. However, I am stuck at these digicams: Rebel EOS 300D ($800 USD) G6 ($660 USD) S70 ($620 USD) A95 ($360 USD). These are prices in Vietnam. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me an advice and analysis oftradeoffs among these ones so I can finally be able to decide onone that I won't regret later. :?

Kind regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:26 AM   #2

I bought the G6 and quite happy with it. It does have some quirks though. One is...above average red-eye. I get kind of unacceptable amount of red-eye in my G6 pics as compared with my old nikon 950. But at least you can fix that up by mounting an external flash ... even though that might not be so convenient sometimes.

Another quirk of the G6 .. when you put the G6 back into its Canon case, the little lever (that must be depressed to turn-on the camera) has a very big tendency to catch on the poorly designed Canon case. So when you put the camera into the case, there may be more than a 50 percent chance that the camera will turn on...which is kind of a ridiculous percentage in chance. If you don't believe me...then give it a try. I do have a special way to put the camera into the case though....I put the camera in back-to-front..so that the front of the camera points to the 'back' of the case. I pop the camera in carefully...back-to-front orientation, and then I carefully zip up the sides of the case. The camera is safe once the sides are zipped. The back-to-front technique works because the rear of the canon case doesn't have the 'ridge' that catch the on/off lever. The front of the case has 'ridges' on the inner edges of the case. That's what happens when the case designers didn't take an important thing (the on/off lever) into account.

As for the rebel 300D, I was tempted, but decided I'd wait for a few more years for some pedigree models to come out. I thought I wouldn't just jump in and get the earliest affordable DSLR cameras. It's just like computer operating systems and software...just wait a few years and the updated ones will eventually come out....stable, and bugs all ironed out.....except for Win XP I guess...that piece of junk still gets these crazy auto-updates nearly every week, or every couple of weeks...and the more updates that come along, the more my computer behaves oddly, like it does icon refresh unexpectedly.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:47 AM   #3

Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for your promt response. I will now rule out the EOS 300D and wait. However, without the defect of the G6 case, what do you think about the rest of its value? Have you ever used A95 and S70, can they beat G6 in terms of price and value.

Regards,

Quan

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:20 AM   #4

Hi again Quan Tran...you're welcome anytime. I haven't used those other 2 cameras before, but am definitely pleased with the performance of the G6 (apart from the above average red-eye). It works quite well in low light, has a decent range of light sensitivity (ISO) levels from ISO 50 to ISO 400, can go fully manual, takes sharp pictures with good colour saturation, and fast....so you can pre-focus on something and the camera will take the shot without much delay once the shutter button is pressed. It's got auto-focus and a manual focus setting...quite handy. Also has a macro mode, and a super macro mode. You can manually adjust the intensity of the flash (low, medium, high) when the camera is in the manual mode of operation. In total darkness while in the high intensity mode, the flash will strongly light up things to around say 4 metres away....quite a powerful little inbuilt flash. You should read the review about the G6 on this steve's digicams website. The review convinced me to buy the G6. And a number of years ago, this website also convinced me to buy the Nikon 950. I've been very happy with both cameras. Anyhow, the G6 is a fantastic camera....well worth the money. But if you're concerned about red-eye...you really might want to think about it...or you could use an external flash if you'd like (which solves the red-eye problem).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:21 AM   #5

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your advice. That's very kind of you.

Regards,

Quan

Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6

Quan,

Leaving the 300D out and just considering the A95 or S70 you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

Do you want to shoot RAW or stay with JPEG files?- The A95 is a JPEG only camera, where the S70 offers RAW as well as JPEG. Given that, as far as I can tell,the best RAW converters are not compatible with Canon digicams, and Canon's RAW converter bundled with the S70is pretty darn slow, you might want to forgo RAW shooting until you decide to move up to DSLR's, althoughnot that it is a given.

You may decide the quality of these cameras are all you'll ever need. The A95 and S70 offer all the automation a DSLR does- you can shoot completely on auto or you can go totally manual, including focus. What you miss in not going with a DSLR is image quality at any setting over ISO 100- as long as you stay at ISO 50 or 100 the quality is quite good.Above that (ISO 200 or 400)things get quite noisy with either the A95 or S70.I can shoot with my 10D or Digital Rebel at ISO 1600 and have better looking images than I was able to achieve with a G5 I once owned at ISO 400. If you do shoot above ISO 100 you'll want to invest in a good noise reduction program like Noise Ninja or Neat Image.

I really like the "A" series of Canon's digicams because they canuse regularAA batteries, whether it's the re-chargeable or not type. It's nice to know if you're out somewhere & run out of power you can just go to a store andbuy a set, but I also like the clam door style designof the S70. The 2 additional megapixels of the S70 would not be a point that sells it over an A95. I do very much like the swinging type LCD the A95 has-that and the AA battery capabilitywould bethe deciding factors if I were to decide between those two models.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:49 PM   #7

I chose the G6 and I am very happy with it. I returned a Olympus 8080 and 5050, I own a A70, which is a wonderful little camera, but I wanted a little bigger lense like my Olympus 2020 (that i really loved). So I do think that the A95, from what i read, sounds like its a lot like the A70. Very quick camera, no waiting (except for one tiny problem..the beach) hopefully the a95 has a fix for that..it would not focus with white skies, white beach.

I too considered the Canon Rebel, decided it was too big for me and a bit beyond my price range. Someday thought, I would like mabye the Nikon D70.

I picked the G6, becasue I could hardly find a negative thing about it, in the reiveiws. And i had good service with the Canon A70 when i had it fixed, so I thought, why not try the Canon camera.

The G6 does has red eyes, as the person above says. But sodid the 5050, and the A70. The Olympus 8080 did not, but I did not like the EVF and I couldnt hold it still in longer zoom shots no matter how i tried. SoI headed out to find a camera WITHOUT a large zoom that still had a little better lense. (The 5050 is just slow).

The photos I've taken with the G6 have been great for what I use a camera for. I take lots of kids. It turns on fast, focuses fast, fast recycle time, fast shot to shot time. I find the buttons all in a handy place. I use it mostly in AUTO, changing the flash to "no flash" or "force flash". Other than that, I've liked AUTO. The Canon A70 is fast too, but it is a smaller lense and IF I zoom in and look at photos close, the photos are not as crisp.

The quick response of the A70 is great, and so is the G6...they both a fun to use because I wait for nothing (excpet the beach photo with the A70). I think of all the digital cameras I've owned, the G6 is my favorite. (i've owned a Casio, a Fuji 1200, olympus 2020, a Nikkon 2100, Canon A70, tried out a Olympus 8080 and 5050 each for a month, and ended up with a Canon G6 and couldnt be happier. I do put my photos on the computer and fix the red eyes though............(wish it had a flip up flash, it might have helped that, cuase the 8080 did.)

As for choosing a camera that would be smaller in size and maybe in price, i would choose the A95, because of the reivew and comparisons to the A70 , which i like a lot.

Good luck

cmw

wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:49 PM   #8

I chose the G6 and I am very happy with it. I returned a Olympus 8080 and 5050, I own a A70, which is a wonderful little camera, but I wanted a little bigger lense like my Olympus 2020 (that i really loved). So I do think that the A95, from what i read, sounds like its a lot like the A70. Very quick camera, no waiting (except for one tiny problem..the beach) hopefully the a95 has a fix for that..it would not focus with white skies, white beach.

I too considered the Canon Rebel, decided it was too big for me and a bit beyond my price range. Someday thought, I would like mabye the Nikon D70.

I picked the G6, becasue I could hardly find a negative thing about it, in the reiveiws. And i had good service with the Canon A70 when i had it fixed, so I thought, why not try the Canon camera.

The G6 does has red eyes, as the person above says. But sodid the 5050, and the A70. The Olympus 8080 did not, but I did not like the EVF and I couldnt hold it still in longer zoom shots no matter how i tried. SoI headed out to find a camera WITHOUT a large zoom that still had a little better lense. (The 5050 is just slow).

The photos I've taken with the G6 have been great for what I use a camera for. I take lots of kids. It turns on fast, focuses fast, fast recycle time, fast shot to shot time. I find the buttons all in a handy place. I use it mostly in AUTO, changing the flash to "no flash" or "force flash". Other than that, I've liked AUTO. The Canon A70 is fast too, but it is a smaller lense and IF I zoom in and look at photos close, the photos are not as crisp.

The quick response of the A70 is great, and so is the G6...they both a fun to use because I wait for nothing (excpet the beach photo with the A70). I think of all the digital cameras I've owned, the G6 is my favorite. (i've owned a Casio, a Fuji 1200, olympus 2020, a Nikkon 2100, Canon A70, tried out a Olympus 8080 and 5050 each for a month, and ended up with a Canon G6 and couldnt be happier. I do put my photos on the computer and fix the red eyes though............(wish it had a flip up flash, it might have helped that, cuase the 8080 did.)

As for choosing a camera that would be smaller in size and maybe in price, i would choose the A95, because of the reivew and comparisons to the A70 , which i like a lot.

Good luck

cmw

Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:05 PM   #9

Another thing Iforgot to mention, is thatI can take 300 photos without charging my battery.It could go longer, I havent tried any more than that in one weekend.

I take dozens of photos daily, charge the camera about every 3 or 4 weeks. I upload my photos with a media reader. I do view the photos on the camera and still get great service from the lithium battery. I find it amazing.

I was a little reluctant to give up my double AA rechargables that came with the other cameras, and still should buy a spare, but the charger is also fast, so if i have an Event the next day, I'll charge teh battery, just to make sure, because when it goes, it goes FAST.

I had no trouble with the AA's lasting quite a while with theCanon A70 , and i owned three sets, so I was always ready.

I also bought a 512 card and a 1 G card, but I use the preset choice of Fine, instead of superfine and the 512 holds a lot of photos. I bought the 1 G card in case I decide to start using the SUPER FINE choice. On my 5x7's, i couldnt tell the difference.

cmw