Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:56 AM   #1

Just got my Canon G6 and been taking pics in full Auto mode.
The indoor pics look soft or blurry. Any advice would be appreciated. The flash is on auto also. When I press the shutter release half way, it focuses and the read out is F 2.0 and shutter speed of 1/60.
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2

Not sure what the problem is yet. You might have to upload a picture so that we can see the environment you were photographing...ie lighting conditions, and subject distances etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:58 AM   #3

One common thing that happens in auto is the camera will use whatever shutter speed it needs to get the photo. Including speeds that are really too slow for hand-held picture taking. Even with flash enabled. Remember the rule 1/focallength for shutter speeds. So if you are zoomed wide, 1/60 is okay, but if zoomed into tele 1/60 is probably on the slow side.

You can take a look at the file meta-data to see what the real exposure was and zoom length. If anything less than 1/60, shake may be the problem.

One test is to place the camera into Tv mode set to 1/60 with flash on. You'll still get good automatic exposure control, but the shutter speed will be locked to that 1/60 or 1/125 second you've set (choose teh fastest shutter you can select and not exceed the flash sync rating (my Pro 1 will select flash sync of 1/250 even if I've selected 1/800).

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:19 PM   #4

yah true...but I'm not sure what was meant by blurry...as in camera shake, or out of focus.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:45 AM   #5

I've just had my first big batch of photos printed and about a 1/3 of those were blurry / out of focus. I'm gonna have a play with the settings but so far i'm not everso impressed with camera!

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:54 AM   #6

beach bum wrote:
Quote:
I've just had my first big batch of photos printed and about a 1/3 of those were blurry / out of focus. I'm gonna have a play with the settings but so far i'm not everso impressed with camera!

B B
Maybe you can try some things on page 89 of the G6 manual...like select center-point AF frame, and make sure to aim the camera, then depress shutter button half-way to try get a focus....hold the camera really steady and look on the LCD viewfinder to see if everything looks focused. If everything is good, then press the shutter button all the way in to take the photo.

So far, I've never come across focusing problems with the G6 for typical photos. I've only had out-of-focus shots sometimes with macro mode when I used manual focus on some insects. This was only because I'm still getting used to using the G6 in macro mode. And I haven't even yet used super-macro mode (which was probably what I should have used, but didn't have my instruction manual on me at the time - and I didn't know that you access this mode by keeping the macro (ie the flower) button depressed for a sufficient amount of time. I don't feel that there's anything wrong with the G6 focusing, and I've taken a lot of pictures with mine.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses.
I guess the thing that bugs me is the at wide zoom, in Auto, indoors with flash on, it is always at F 2.0, 1/60 shutter speed. The depth of field is just to shallow, is what the problem seems to be. The "area" of focus is in focus, but not everything else. Now I know I can use Av or Tv mode and adjust things, but.... My question is: Is that the way this camera works? If I wanted to use only Auto mode and need, say a picture of like a group of people indoors, family gathering or Christmas, ect., this is the results I would get? Like I said for me I know a little, very little compared to most probably and I do like to play with the other modes. But if someone bought this camera for the great reviews and wanted the 7.1MPs
but primarily wanted to use Auto, that seems crazy!
Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:53 AM   #8

Bosman wrote:
Quote:
But if someone bought this camera for the great reviews and wanted the 7.1MPs
but primarily wanted to use Auto, that seems crazy!
Am I missing something here?
Have to agree with all you say. In a review of the G6 i found, someone said if you want a point and shoot camera than look elsewhere. I too like to play with settings but at the same time but i like the auto mode also. I just find this camera too complicated for everyday use.
Anyway mine's gone back because it was faulty and i'm hoping to get another camera as a replacment.

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #9

What was wrong with it?

I'm keeping mine, I thought I had read every review on this thing didn't see the one you were talking about not being a pint and shoot camera. The other camera I was looking at was the Panasonic FZ20 only 5 MP but had 12x optical zoom.
When I read the reviews of the Canon I actually thought having a camera that opened to F 2.0 was a hugh benfit in low light situations, but I forgot the depth of field factor.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:22 PM   #10

Bosman wrote:
Quote:
What was wrong with it?

I'm keeping mine, I thought I had read every review on this thing didn't see the one you were talking about not being a pint and shoot camera. The other camera I was looking at was the Panasonic FZ20 only 5 MP but had 12x optical zoom.
When I read the reviews of the Canon I actually thought having a camera that opened to F 2.0 was a hugh benfit in low light situations, but I forgot the depth of field factor.
I just returned a A95 that I had the same problems with- 3 out of 4 pics out of focus. I do think it was a problem with this particular camera but I will pass along something else that has been bugging me. Canon has introduced this AIAF crap on their cameras. As far as I know there is no way of turning it off in Auto mode (at least on the A95) and I found the camera picking different focus areas than I wanted for indoor flash pictures. I had taken some at easter in Auto and the "subject" was out of focus but others were in focus. I think what is happening here is that the DOF is so shallow that unless you are specifically focusing (center or spot) on the main subject you are going to have problems with Canon Cameras. Try "program" mode and set it to center or spot (if available) and try some test shots and report back your findings... Leave your aperture and speed the way they were and hold the camera stillllll.... Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote