Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:34 AM   #1

HI

I bought my Canon A70 2 years ago, it worked perfectly.

However, recently, it has a problem that it does not detect the image. When I take a photo, the image on the LCD screen is a violet distorted image of the scene I want to take, and the photo comes out is exactly the same as what I see. But if I review a previously taken photo (which is good), the LCD shows the good image.

So, I think the problem is some where between the lens and the LCD, am I correct? But I dont know exactly what the problem is and if there is anyway to fix it? And if I bring it the manufacturer, how much does it generally cost to fix it?
altatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:57 AM   #2

I just started having the same problem! I even have a video where the problem comes and goes.

I tried basic fixes including new batteries, reformat the CF card using the camera and cleaning the sensor. I would love any insight into what is wrong here and if/how it can be fixed.

You're lucky you got 2 years out of your camera. I only got about 15 months. I loved the camera until this happened. Would consider upgrading to a newer version but hate the idea of spending over $300 on a "disposable" camera.

This is my first digital camera. What is the typical life for a camera in this price range? I expected to have mine for at least 3-4 years.

Thanks,
Nora
norava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:41 PM   #3

On my 2 month old A70 when that happened it took about 5 minutes to go from purple distortion to completely black. According to Canon's repair people they replaced the CCD. Hopefully with one that lasts longer than 2 years:!:
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 4:47 PM   #4

I bought my Powershot A510 on the expectation that it might survive for about two years. The warranty is good for the first year, and my Visa card provided a 1-yearextended warranty at no extra cost, so I'm in pretty good shape for 2 years. After that, I'll be in bonus time! But seriously, digital cameras are not nearly as durable as film cameras, and I have seen and heard about a ton of breakdowns.I live in Hawaii so maybe the humidityandthe salt air are factors, butwhatever it is, my old Nikon FM is over 25 years old and still kicking, but if my A510 lasts for 3 years I will consider it to be a minor miracle.

I would never buy an expensive digital camera unless it also had a good-quality extended warranty and I was willing to accept all the fuss and downtime of getting the thing fixed. However, I have not heard that the more expensive cameras are any more durable than the cheap ones, and in fact one would suspect the contrary. My plan is to keep buying the cheap ones and to replace them whenever they break (out-of-warranty).
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll check my Visa card. Maybe I have an extended warranty too!

I also found that a gentle tap sometimes fixes the problem so I think my CCD might be fine but some connection to it is loose. If I don't have an extended warranty from Visa, I'll let my electonics engineer hubby have at it.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:26 AM   #6

Same problem with my A70, mixed feeling, that i'm not the only one having this, try to take videos, That will record the horizontal violet-black-white lines. Some of my photos have it (about 1 from a 1000). Somebody said a new ccd helped, I thought just the connection to the ccd went wrong, how long has it been right for you guy-who-changed-his-ccd?
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:21 AM   #7

15 months since it was fixed.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:15 PM   #8

Hey folks. I found this by googling, trying to find a solution to the exact same problem. As near as I can tell, this is relatively common with this model of camera, and involves a slow deterioration of some connection or other. I found that I saw the horizontal intermittent purple lines for months, slowly getting worse. They seemed to be worse in lower lighting. Eventually, I saw the purple cast to the screen that seems to indicate that things are rapidly going downhill, and then the screen started to blank out entirely. Reviewing pictures still works, so it's not an LCD problem.

I should have sent the camera to Canon when it was doing the purple lines, because it was still in warranty then. I was too in love with it, though; it was just too small and compact and useful. I wanted to carry it with me everywhere I went. Anyway, things started getting really bad just a month out of my warranty period. Dammit. About 18 months after I bought the thing, the picture went away for good.

I took it apart to try to solve the problem. I don't suggest doing this yourself. It's very dangerous. The capacitor for the flash holds a lot of energy even when the camera's been off for days, and it WILL hurt you if you accidentally touch the leads. You'll quite possibly do this while holding the camera and trying to undo the myriad screws.

I tore a connection while taking it apart and gave it up for dead awhile back. I just pulled the carcass back out to see if I could maybe solder the tiny connections back together... well, of course, this'd be contingent on actually fixing the initial problem, too.

Taking the camera apart is not a simple process. I finally managed it this time, and I got down to the CCD. It's held together by three tiny star-screws, each with a nice little dab of locktite on it. MAYBE if I had the right screw driver, I could break that locktite... and then I'd have to pull up the rest of the metal panel covering the CCD, which also seems to have a lot of locktite holding it down. Assuming I didn't damage it, that's when I'd be able to see if there was a loose connection.

So, do-it-yourselfers, trust me, you're not going to be able to fix this one. Sorry about that. I really miss my baby camera. Just figured I'd save you all some time, though.
Kistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:35 AM   #9

I am from india.I too having the same problem. I took it to the service center.they told me to change CCD. My camera is not in warranty period.

Can anyone tell how much the CCD costs in US and Canada.
Ashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the credit card extended warranty idea. I finally found my receipt and realized that I no longer have that account open. I called anyway and they said they would have considered my claim IF the account was still open.....argh! They double the time on the manufacturers' warranty up to 3 years.

When I called Canon customer service they said I would need to mail it with insurance and they would give me a free estimate. Minimum was $100. Extensive repair would be about $200. It could be something wrong with the image sensor or the CCD.

They offered me an "upgrade." For $149 plus $10 shipping and tax, they would send me a new A70 that would come with (only) a 6 monthy warranty.

Not sure what I will do....If I have to spend money I would prefer to get a camera with more optical zoom, more megapixels or both.