Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 5, 2002, 8:12 AM   #1

Default Red-eye problems with the Canon G3

Is anyone else have issues with Red-eye on the G3? I'm hoping I don't have to use Photoshop to repair 50% of the pictures that I take (hopefully it's just me!). I do have red-eye set to 'YES' in the menu. I've owned the G1 and G2 and I don't remember it being this bad. :?:

thx

Dave
lilbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:54 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

I've had my G3 for all of 24 hours and have taken maybe six indoor shots and so far only one had the dreaded red-eye - even then I'm not certain for that shot whether or not I had the red-eye reduction set to ON.

Regards.

David
tradescant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:37 PM   #3

Personally, I don't expect much out of built-in flash, especially on point and shoot cameras. Its really a matter of geomoetry. The flash is just too close to the lens. Any sort of pre-flash trickery all works marginally, IMHO.

The solution is an extrnal flash. IIRC, the G3 has a hot shoe. Get an external flash and a Lumiquest pocket bouncer. I think you'll like the results.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:52 AM   #4

thanks for the responses. I'll look into an external flash, although it sounds kinda large an bulky for what I use the camera for (taking pictures of the kids). I'm sure I have way too much camera for my needs but I love the quality of the pictures...thx again.

Dave
lilbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:25 PM   #5

A large external flash with a tlit head and a Lumiquest bouncer on *will* look very bulky, especially on a G3. I used one on a Pentax 35 mm SLR, and always got comments and strange looks. It really looks like a "pro setup" and out of place for taking snap shots.

But seriously, the results are fantastic. Direct flash is just to hard for main lighting. It's not at all flattering, IMHO.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:40 PM   #6

I agree with you, jeff. I use a Canon 420ex flash on my G2 and it look almost ridiculous. Im more than happy with the results however. Im not using an Omnibounce yet, but it seems to be a good solution listening to people here.

WWW.pbase.com/fjalstal
fjalstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 6:05 PM   #7

Dave, are you sure you have the red-eye reduction mode on? If you do, you should see a little CBS-like eye symbol in the LCD on top of the camera, alongside the lightning bolt symbol for flash.

However, red-eye reduction is no panacea; I've had numerous instances where people have seen the pre-flash light and instinctively blinked. Believe me, "closed-eye" is much tougher to deal with than "red-eye" in your editing software!

Chuck
crsnydertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 8:21 AM   #8
TJ

Default Lumiquest Bouncer

I have heard mention of a lumiquest bouncer on numerous occasions in this forum. Please explain what it is to me. I'm expectging delivery of a new G2 any day now and would eventually like to purchase an external flash for it.

Thanks,
TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:43 AM   #9

http://www.lumiquest.com/

Select "Products" then select "Pocket Bouncer". They have lots of other similair products as well. They work very well, and I highly recommend them.