Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:32 PM   #1

I've enjoyed my Canon G3 but am thinking of upgrading to the G6 or ?rebel 350. My main question is this regarding the G6:

Will I notice a significant improvement in autofocus speed? (chief complaint)

Does the cap still pop off easily?

Is the viewfinder still partially obstructed?

Does the G6 feel much bulkier than the G3? looks bulkier with handgrip stuck out

I've always been a film SLR photographer but rarely use my ELAN 7 anymore due to its weight and I'm hooked on digital. I'm considering the rebel 350 but I'm not sure that it would be worth having to deal with the weight and bulkiness. I do have a 28-140 lense for my ELAN 7 and a 50mm for it also if I decide to go digital SLR.

I mostly do travel photography and candid pictures of kids. I mostly shoot auto or program. Any advice?

photog4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2

I've enjoyed my Canon G3 but am thinking of upgrading to the G6 or ?rebel 350. My main question is this regarding the G6:

Will I notice a significant improvement in autofocus speed? (chief complaint)
Yes, the G6 autofocus is about 40% faster than the G5, but still not nearly as fast as a dSLR... I think it's about average for this type of camera...

Does the cap still pop off easily?
The cap is still the samepress-on type.... I don't find it to be a problem, but your opinion may differ....

Is the viewfinder still partially obstructed?
No, the taller body has eliminated viewfinder obstruction, even at wide angle. However, if you put a filter adapter on the camera, it will partially obstruct the viewfinder.

Does the G6 feel much bulkier than the G3? looks bulkier with handgrip stuck out
I have a G2 as well, and the G6 has much better ergonomics... the larger handgrip is a real improvement in my opinion

I've always been a film SLR photographer but rarely use my ELAN 7 anymore due to its weight and I'm hooked on digital. I'm considering the rebel 350 but I'm not sure that it would be worth having to deal with the weight and bulkiness. I do have a 28-140 lense for my ELAN 7 and a 50mm for it also if I decide to go digital SLR.
The 350 XT is very nice, I believe it's the smallest and lightest dSLR currently available.

I mostly do travel photography and candid pictures of kids. I mostly shoot auto or program. Any advice? Both cameras take good picutres,.. The G6 is very lightweight, and convenient for travel.... the 350 XT is much better for fast start-up, fast autofocus... especially in low light interiors. The 350 XT will also producebetter quality images with significantly less noise at higher ISO. I suggest you try to handle both cameras yourself then decide which one feels better.

Good luck in your decision..... Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3

re the lens cap keeping coming off on the g3.i think this is a delberate design.if one thinks about it,if the lens cap was tighter when one powers up the camera if it were too tight it would do damage to the lens motor.just a thought though i think i'm right with my prognosis.rgds to all.from tbm...:blah:
camerabuff05 is offline   Reply With Quote