Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:01 PM   #1

I bought an A70 for my daughter, it worked fine but now the lense barrel won`t retract all the way, won`t focus,and the lens opening is on an angle instead of horizonal. I was told it is from an impact while it was extended. Has anyone had a repair done for this condition, and about what did it cost? Thanks.
z2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:27 PM   #2

I faced the same issue with my A70 a while back. I dropped it one foot to a carpeted surface, hitting the lens, and it broke (the ubiquitous E18 error). Canon told me it would be anywhere from $100-$200 to replace plus shipping both ways. I said, "No thanks!" and just bought a new a510 (the replacement of the a75, the replacement of the a70). From what I've read, the E18 error (if that is what you have) is caused by at least a misalignment of the lens, if not worse. Some people have reportedly had it break on them again after it was repaired for the E18 error! So, I chose not to take my chances and get a new one. Goodluck with your decision!

Jim
santaclaus005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

It may be more economical to buy a new camera, because the cost for the quote and the repair cost combined will probably not be worth it. Just have to try not to drop or bump our cameras.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The local camera repair shop wants 40.00 to look at it, which will come off the repair bill. So I have to decide whether to risk the 40.00 and see what the total will be or just look for a replacement, thanks.
z2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote