Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:38 PM   #1

Default How do I record RAW images?

I see RAW images are the highest quality images available to us A40 Powershot owner's, so I would like to know how to record them rather than the pixelated Jpeg's that the camera is set to? RAW format is mentioned in the camera manual and in the software instruction book, but it doesn't tell you how to go about it.
:roll:
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:28 PM   #2

In your camera's setup menu, you probably have an option for picture format (JPG or RAW). If you do, select RAW. The resulting files are a little bigger than JPGs, but worth the difference. You might have to select the "P" mode, as I think you're limited to JPGs in the Automatic mode.

The big advantage to Canon RAW (CRAW) format isn't higher resolution, but rather the ability to process your pictures outside the camera. You have to convert the saved CRAW pictures in order to edit them in Photoshop, but during the conversion process, you can set the white balance, saturation and sharpness. I have salvaged a lot of pictures using CRAW, especially those with ugly reddish cast due to incorrect white balance.

The down side is the extra time it takes to convert the images from CRAW to JPG or whatever format you choose.

I really like the converter available in BreezeBrowser.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:36 PM   #3

Default Raw Images

Thanks for the help Wildman, but I was reading the Readme File that comes along with the Raw Image Convertor program, I finally got around to it and it lists a number of cameras that have this option on them. Unfortunately, the A40 isn't on the list, so I guess it will have to be jpegs from now on. I just found out also that the camera needs to be in replay mode in order for it to work properly with Remote Capture (don't know if you have this software or not) but it lets you control the camera from the desktop and change the settings on it.

Cheers

John
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:03 PM   #4

Default Re: Raw Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimbo
Thanks for the help Wildman, but I was reading the Readme File that comes along with the Raw Image Convertor program, I finally got around to it and it lists a number of cameras that have this option on them. Unfortunately, the A40 isn't on the list, so I guess it will have to be jpegs from now on. I just found out also that the camera needs to be in replay mode in order for it to work properly with Remote Capture (don't know if you have this software or not) but it lets you control the camera from the desktop and change the settings on it.

Cheers

John
Yes, unfortunately the Canon PowerShot A40 does not record the pictures in the raw format. That means that some information is lost. Later conversion to raw or tif won't do any good.

Since it is a problem of the software I wonder if we could ask Canon to release a patch to enable the camera to offer storage in some no-loss format.

_rainer_
_rainer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 7:39 PM   #5

I was going to say..

The A40 will not do RAW mode. best you can do is Large resolution with Superfine compression. It's pretty good for a $250 2.0 MP camera. It will yield a file that is about 1MB in size, so prediciting the number of shots per CF card is really easy.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote