Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

I have a Digital Elph S500 now and I want to trade it in for a Digital Elph SD500. How much difference do you thinkI have to pay?
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

The answer is you'll probably pay more than you think.

If you really plan to trade it in, the dealer will check your camera out, decide what he can sell it for used and probably give you credit for about 60% or so of that price. Take that amount off the price of an SD500 and that's what you'll pay. See if you can locate any used S500's for sale to see what the prices are second-hand. That will give you some idea of where to start in seeing how you'd come out.

You should do better just trying to sell it yourself. It will take longer, but the SD500 will eventually cost you less extra money out of pocket.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 3:52 AM   #3

Thanks . 60% is quite a different. I'd have to pay about $200 for the upgrade. Do you think that my S500's value would be more than 60% (Maybe around 70%?)? This is because it is only 6 months old and has 6 months warranty left.
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

I just purchased a new S500 for my wife and I paid $299.95 delivered (no tax). Actually I compared it to the new SD500 and chose the S500 instead.

My reasons were; My wife just wants to point and shoot; many reported broken SD 2" LCD's; doubt you would be able to see much diifference between 5Meg and 7Meg; already had many existing large CF cards so no need to purchase SD's; noise on S500 (which is less than expected) is easly removed with Noise Ninja in work flow;increase in width is only +.1" and the S500 is not as long; S500 batteries with 70% increase in power (840 mAh vs. 1200 mAh) available from Battery Barn for $21; and no soft focus in the cornersas seen in some SD500s.

As for Digic II, I think Digic over processes images (I perfer Natural Color) and more processing is not a requirement for me.

And of course the S500 costs $200 (66%) less. For what it's worth, those were my views and my wife is happy that it's lighter than her G1. There have been times when I've used S500 instead of packing my 10D and lenses and the results were surprisingly good.

Glenn

GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:23 PM   #5

I did a quick check & could not find a second-hand S500 for sale, so I can't really say what a dealer would ask second-hand after taking your S500 in trade.

What you need to understand is this. To the dealer, you are no more than another wholesale provider. The dealer is there to make a profit, so they are going to give you credit for it based on wholesale values. They cannot sell it for the same price you bought it new. A 6 month old digicam is "old" in today's terms. They would probably do good selling it for 80% of what you paid- it might not even sell for that much because S500's are probably now selling new for less than what you paid, and warranties on cameras do not transfer. You are the only one who benefits from the original warranty. Take the price you paid, or better yet what it sells for today, and figure what 80% of that number is. Now take that number and multiply it by 60%- my guess is you'll do no better than that trading it in. That's why I say you might be better trying to just sell it yourself. Believe me, I know what I am talking about. I have been buying and selling cameras for years as a user, not a dealer. In the days before online selling like eBay, etc, I lost a lot of money trading in equipment for something else. Unless you've got the money to lose, you need to try & sell it yourself first.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote