Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:27 PM   #1

Its seems most other manufacturers with mega zoom cameras have improved and added to their model mix 2 times since Canon came out with the S1 IS. This includes Konica Minolta, Panasonic, and Kodak. Has anyone heard about a next generation Canon. I personaly would call it a near perfect camera but would like to see it updated with more mega pixels and a menu system similar to Kodak, but it has everythng else.

Anthony
aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes, there is an S1 replacement coming soon, that's all I can say for now.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:09 PM   #3

would you reccomend people who are thinking of getting the s1 to wait?
Amaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:56 AM   #4

what would it take for the camera to have a combination of a fast enough lens and not-too-noisy high enough ISO to negate the need for IS? (although I still want IS, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd dump the IS)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:15 AM   #5

Hmmm... I don't know others plans... I know my own...
I've got the S1, and the next camera will be for sure a DSLR. S1 is a good camera and also a good place to start to go for DSLRs world.
I'll be curious also to see the improvements in a new S* model, but until then I still have a lot of things to learn.

Cheers!
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:33 AM   #6

steve wrote:
Quote:
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:28 AM   #7

how much better in low light (not counting IS) will the S2 be than the S1? I would prefer that it be at least 2 or 3 f/stops faster at telephoto, and preferably even more at wide.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:41 PM   #8

You sure do post a lot of complaining type comments on these forums. =o) *smiles*

It's funny really... we laugh about it when we read them.

I want this, I need that... That's why there are different products. If I was a graphic designer, I'd be on a Mac. But I'm a gamer, so I'm on a PC.

If you need the fastest camera, and low light abilities. D-SLR's are the best you can get. If you want a longer lens, buy it...

No P&S for a long while will rival ANY D-SLR. There are 3 and 4 megapixel D-SLR's that aren't the fastest, or the most full-featured, but they still great noise free (when compared to the newest crop of P&S cameras) photos. Used in conjunction with noise reduction software the shots a D-SLR produces are as good as being there.

=o)

Keep on shooting...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:37 PM   #9

steve wrote:
Quote:
I have been agonizing for the last year or so trying to decide which camera to get as a replacement for my Canon S10. I've tried an S45--took it back, an A80--took it back (both for red-eye issues). The S1 IS is SO close to what I'm looking for that I thought I finally made up my mind to purchase. Before I did, I figured I'd check the forums one last time and see this subtle hint from Steve. I figured there would be a replacement but not until September and I really want/need something before May (a couple of family birthdays coming). Steve's hint makes me think it might be sooner than September. I'm sure he's under Non Disclosure Agreements so he's not at liberty to say so I'm wondering if anyone else has heard or seen anything to support my theory of a silent release sometime soon. Someone has mentioned something about a translated manual but I can't find anything on that. My trusty 5 year old S10 is still plugging along and never had a red-eye issue but it's slow on highest quality, has no movie mode and I'm ready for a replacement. I'd get the new Rebel XT if money weren't in question but it is and I really like the idea of having a movie mode. I mostly take pictures/snapshots of my kids (I'm not a skilled photographer by any sense of the word). Please help put me out of my misery someone. Thanks in advance!
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:36 AM   #10

hmmm but maybe Steve could hypothetically answer if, i say, had a birthday in May and was planning on treating myself to a digital camera and was going to buy the Canon S1 IS, if i should wait for the successor?

hypothetically. :O
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote