Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 1, 2005, 5:46 PM   #11

You are not the only one having problem with SD cards in canon cameras. canon only recently introduced SD cards in their cameras, and it seems like they have a software driver problem.

Return the camera if you have the chance, and buy a Sony or Casio camera.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:15 PM   #12

I had exactly the same trouble with a PNY "basic" 1Gb card... I've changed it for a SanDisk 1Gb Ultra II (and some more bills). Now it works fine !
Also, I had no trouble with another card : a "basic" Excel SD 256Mo.
Hope it helps.
Charonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 4:03 PM   #13

I bought a Canon Ixus 40 last week online & at the same time a 512mb SD -Bytestor. Today I have taken my camera out & having taking approx 50 images and reviewing them it now displays 'unidentified image' when I try to review them. I cannot seem to upload them either.

I see other people have a bigger SD card- but can anyone advise me what to do.

I am so upset as I decided to spend more and get a 'decent camera'!

Thanks
annoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:53 AM   #14

I have a Canon Ixus 700 with Transcend 1GB 80x card. I tested to take pictures and videos until the card is full and they worked ok. Hope won't get any problems later...

KooM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:47 AM   #15

I bought a ixus 50 a few weeks ago together with a 1gig SD from Kingston. From the start I get often memory card errors. I can reproduce the problem by taking a picture, shutdozn the camera, turn it on again and then switch to view-pictures mode. Then I get the memory card error. When taking out the sd-card and put it back in right away the problem is solved until I do the same thing again.

I thought it was a faulty sd-card. Got it replaced without problems. But the new one gives the same problem.

I used the camera with a 512mb sd-card from dane-elec for some time without any problems.

So now I suppose it is a bug in the camera.

Any advise on how to solve this problem? Firmware upgrade? I searched for ti but only found one to correct some language error in an asian langauge menu.

i.
ievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 6:12 AM   #16

I've had this same problem (question mark thumb, unreadable image).
I *think* it started occurring after I used the SD card in another camera which created its own directory on there, and the Canon tried to read it unsuccessfully, putting it in the question mark state..?
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:38 AM   #17

I have had my Kingston SD 1gig replaced by a new one.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The new one had exactly the same problem in my ixus 50 camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now since a few days I'm testing another SD card 1gig from Dane Elec in the ixus 50. And with this one there is no problem at all!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So my conclusion is there is a severe compatibilty problem between ixus 50 and some sd-cards...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I hope canon will soon provide a firmware upgrade to solve this issue.

ievel
ievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:24 PM   #18

I'm having problems with an Integral 1Gb 60x. Unpredictable "Memory Card Error", that doesn't have any rhyme or reason as to when it crashes. Stay away from Integral! I have a Toshiba 60x 512M which works fine, and I heard that Panasonic work well.

I'm thinking of trying Who_Cares solution- fry it and swap it for a Transcend (same low price).
kiwipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:42 AM   #19

It worked. Transcend 1Gb 80x works a charm. So we have learnt, empirically, from this thread:

GOOD: SanDisk, Panasonic, Agfa, Transcend, PQI, Toshiba, Dane Elec

BAD: Fuji, Integral, Kingston,PNY, Bytestor

What a pain in the neck! Canon should do better. I'm starting to wish I'd bought a Sony DSC T7 instead.
kiwipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:23 AM   #20

I bought the Canon Ixus 700 6 weeks ago and have been having this same problem. I'm using a Digistor XL-PRO 1Gb SD card. I replaced the card, then the camera but still get the unidentified image problem on playback. Certainly seems to get worse as the memory fills up. Seems to start when it is about 8% full. I guess I will have to send it back to Cannon for a check up but I am not happy! Nor is the camera store.
adrianjohn is offline   Reply With Quote