Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:59 AM   #21

Hi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How are u getting on with the Transcend SD card as I am thinking of ordering the same card for my Ixus 700, and do not want any cockups?
nelson1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:00 AM   #22

Hi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How are u getting on with the Transcend SD card as I am thinking of ordering the same card for my Ixus 700, and do not want any cockups?
nelson1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:11 AM   #23

Hi,

I have a Canon Ixus 40 that also doesnt work with a 1Gb Kingston Elite Pro SD card. Seemed OK at first. After a while, the camera reported an 'Unidentified image?' error on review. The camera seems to know that there are 72 pictures stored on the card. As I scrolled through the pictures, the camera seemed to know which ones are movies and which are stills, just wasn't able to display the image.

The Canon support crew said that they had only tested this camera with the Sandisk up to 512Mb and that I should get another SD card. I don't wan't to do this as the card was purchased and delivered from another state. I'm thinking of hacking the firmware myself, or with the help of others.

Does anyone know what is involved? I have heard that it is some kind of assembly code. Does anything different have to be done to write a driver for high speed cards as opposed to regular cards?
csstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:10 AM   #24

Hello again. After my last contribution I tried Canon's technical support site but found nothing about this problem. So I phoned their European Technical Support Centre (at premium rate). This turned out to be a call centre and the chap who answered seemed simply to look up my query on a database rather than have any technical knowledge himself. Basically he said that I should try a Canon SD card or a SanDisk as they had tested the camera with these cards. If it worked with them it was a problem with my SD card, which was corupted. if it didn't I should send the camera in for examination. Wouldn't admit that Ixus won't work with some makes of SD card but would only accept there was a problem if it didn't work with SanDisk or Canon cards. Not exactly what I would regard as good customer service.

So I took the camera and card back to the shop and showed them a print out of this discussion and they refunded my money for the card. I've now bought a SanDisk 1GB Extreme III card from Amazon, £86 including postage, and that seems to have done the trick. Taken loads of pics wirth no problem.

I'm going to write to the camera mags and see if they will publicise this issue as Cannon won't. They should print on the box to only use speciffoed cards that work if they can't fix the problem.
adrianjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:36 AM   #25

I have the same problem, brand new Canon S2 IS, does the same thing. After about 1"30 of high quality video it will come up with "Unidentified Image" and "Memory Card Error" on a 1GB Samsung KeyMem SD card.

This is not good enough from Canon, I am very annoyed that they are not acknowledging this as a problem.

So add that brand to the list of those that seem to be incompatible.
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:34 PM   #26

I have the same problem with a Ixus 700 /SD500 and Kingston Elite Pro (50x) SD Card. Errors on two different SD cards of the same type, so I guess I have to by from another vendor than Kingston, eventhough it is Canon which is the cause of the problem due to bug in firmware!
lienjohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:27 AM   #27

Yes,

I have contacted the service support people in Australia and the US by email and they both say that a firmware update will not be coming out as they cannot suuport all of the SD cards on the market.

I would like to know if we could tweak the firmware ourselves. To do this safely, we would need some kind of Canon instruction set emulator.
csstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:20 AM   #28

I have the Kingston elite pro 1GB and also the memory card error. But troubleshooting brought me a bit closer to a solution. :idea:

If I turn on the camera in shooting mode, no prop. If I turn it on in view mode: unidentified image. Then I just turn it back to play mode, turn it on, turn it off, back to view mode, on, off, play mode, on, then try, if it isn't working, I flip it off and on a couple of times, the maybe if you're lucky it works.

It makes no sense.
Opspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:30 AM   #29

So a little more testing and troubleshooting gave me more answers and more questions.

It turns out you can fill up the card IF you don't turn it off, but if you do, you're f***'ed.

I called Danish hotline, they said sure there was a problem, but not THEIR problem, contact Kingston, Kingston showed me their compatability guide. So I guess I should have checked that to see if SD card was compatible with SD card using piece of technology.

Thank god someone told me about this, just a tad late that's all.
Opspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:09 PM   #30

Thank God I'm not the onlyfrustrated camera user desperately asking himself if the SD card is bad performing or my Ixus 40 is broken!!

Bought the camera at one internet shop and the SD card at another one. In the beginning the camera functioned quite well with my Extrememory Performance 1Gb 66x SD card (German manufacturer). But after shooting some pictures and videos, the camera started mail functioning. After storing about 130Mbthe camera started to give messages as "unknown picture" and "memory card error". Best of all was that the camera functioned well and poorin complete random order!!

I send the card back to the supplier. He replaced it by a new card from the same manufacturer Extrememory. Same story, same frustrations.

I consulted the Canon internet support help-desk. Their simple answer was that the camera is not compatible with non-Canon SD cards. They advised me to change to a SD card of the Canon brand. Where the f***k can I buy a 1Gb Canon card? Or do those dummies think the 16Mb Canon card supplied with the camera is enough to shoot a three weeks holiday with??

Hope I can send this second card back and the will give me a money refund.

Have planned to buy a Sandisk 1Gb UltraII now. Reading good experiences of other users in this forum.
wolfsleeuw is offline   Reply With Quote