Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:52 PM   #31

I bought a Canon Ixus 50 a couple of weeks ago from a camera shop and purchased on-line a Kingston 1G Pro Elite SD card. It took about 30 or so images and then when I went to play them back it said "Unidentified Image". I assumed this was the card so sent it back to the store and they exchanged it for another Kingston card. This had the same problem. It was fairly easy to replicate the problem – take some pics, video, remove the card and put it back in again – the images could not be viewed. The camera wouldn't even format the card. So I sent the card back for a refund. I then tried a Tekq 1G 60x SD card from the camera store I got the camera from. I was in the shop for about an hour taking lots of pics, video, deleting etc and removing the card – all the things that corrupted the Kingston. The Tekq seemed to be working fine.

Looking at the other problems listed here a lot of people are having trouble with the Kingston cards.

parosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:28 AM   #32

I've experienced the same problem as everyone else on this forum regarding using a non-canon memory card and getting 'No Image' and 'Memory Card Error' messages. I downloaded all my 'corrupted' images to my computer and it wont display them there either. My big fear is that all my photos that I took are gone forever.

Please does anyone know how to fix these images and video footage I have taken? Is it a matter of putting some images back onto my newly formatted memory card from my computer and try taking a few more pictures hoping it will correct the old images? Any help would be much appreciated.
sparm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:00 AM   #33

Sparm: I've had the same problem as you. To restore the pictures all I had to do was to find a different cardreader, external, for a computer. That is because neither camera nor sd-card is broken, but they just won't work together. I was lucky to own a sd-cardreader, but some of my friends, who also owns canon ixus went to a local store and had them access the sd-card via a cardreader. It might also work with another sd-card kamera, which not is a canon.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"When I removeda videoclip or some pictures i could use the card again until a certain limit (which I haven't bothered to find), when the unidentified image problem reappeared again.
Gulastugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:11 AM   #34

I just ordered the Canon S2 ls today and am ordering a memory card this week. I found the following great review. for an SD CARD maker.
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/storage/ATP_SD_6.html

Now here is the manufacturers web site It says all Digital camera compatable and specificially mentions It is compatable with Canon. It also has a 5yr limited warrenty.

Here is a link I found to buy it. its pretty cheap! http://www.********.net/index.php?page=productpage&affid=2&pn=AF1G SD

if not for such a good review I would not try it. Hope this works for everyone.

***UPDATE***

After many months I thought I would report that the ATP 60x 1.0GB SD card has worked like a charm in my Canon S2 IS. I take all my photo's @ the highest resolution normal and High speed andmy video a NTSC quality with no errors ever. I used itformated directly out of the box and later formated in camera again both ways performed great.Best wishes everyone.

Morecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:56 AM   #35

Yes,

I could download the pictures from my SD card using an SD card reader. After the pics were erased from the card, the card once again worked with the camera.

If there is a limit on the number of pics that can be stored using the camera with its current firmware, I would think that this would affect all 1G (large) SD cards.
csstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:08 AM   #36

Morecoffee wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the Canon S2 ls today and am ordering a memory card this week. I found the following great review. for an SD CARD maker.
Does not work, "card error" on ixus40 / sd300. 1GB ATP 60X, bad.
Let's try to make good compability list here.
anonyymi_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:10 PM   #37

Let's not forget that it's impossible for Canon or any other camera maker, to compatibility test their camera with EVERY card maker and brand. There are dozens of 3rd party memory companies and more apprearing every day. Just look at how many brands are mentioned in this thread (many of them I've never even heard of before).There are users out there who have taken it upon themselves to create BLOGS and forums for memory compatibility for their camera. I just wish Canon would be more proactive in creating such user updatable databases on their website.Sony, Olympus and Fuji use their own proprietery memory formats (Memory Stick and xD card respectively). The upside is that because they make the cards, there are no compatibility issues. But their formats are more expensive and slower than either SD or CF cards.*My advice is research on the web before you buy a 3rd party memory card, if it is compatible with your camera. There will always be the rare problem no matter what Camera make you buy (I had a CF compatibility problem with a Minolta camera I owned).*

My other advice is to always buy 2 smaller memory cards instead of 1 hi-capacity card. For example buy 2 512MB cards instead of 1 GB card. Or buy 4 256MB cards instead of a 1GB card. It's better to switch cards as you fill them up, that way if you ever get caught in a freak downpour, yor our camera gets stolen, or your memory card inexplicably currupts your shots, then you don't lose all of your pictures because (hopefully) you've got your vacation/special event spread out in multiple cards.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:24 AM   #38

i bought my digital ixus 40 3 or 4 months ago and also bought the kingmax 1gbx66 speed sd card and have had no problems at all its been fine so far ...i bought it from http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63726

there are a few customer comments about the cards to look at...oops almost forgot to ask my question does the ixus 40 take the 2gb cards that are on the market yet? if so which brand?
slatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:31 PM   #39

Now here is the manufacturers web site It says all Digital camera compatable and specificially mentions It is compatable with Canon. It also has a 5yr limited warrenty.

Here is a link I found to buy it. its pretty cheap! http://www.********.net/index.php?page=productpage&affid=2&pn=AF1G SD

***UPDATE***

I Love my Canon S2 IS and I love my memory card! I used the card formated out of the box and then formatedfrom the camera later, both work perfectly. I take all my photo's @ the highest resolution it can and I have had no problems with the SD card even while using the rapid picture setting and the NTSC 640x480 29.976fps.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:36 PM   #40

***UPDATE***

I have had my camera for months now and use it all the time with my ATP 1.0GB memroy card. I Love them both. I used the ATP card out of the box for a month with no problems and then tried formatting with the camera to see if there were any performance increases. I see none, it sill works flalessly. I take all my Pics. @ Highest quality and same goes for video. no problems ever.