Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1

I purchased the Canon SD300 / IXUS 40 a few days ago and then bought two Integral 1GB SD cards; one for my PDA and the other for the Canon. I have, however, been experiencing "memory card error" messages at no-particular interval.. i.e I can be shooting around 30-200 images and then when its time to play the images back via the camera a "Unreadible Image" message will be shown; and no amount of left-right clicking will move on to the next image.. and no sooner do you turn it back to picture-take mode than you get "memory card error" .. This is all confounded by the fact that your sometimes able to see the images in picture-view mode..

I have given the card a deep test on both the PC (with scan-tools, checkers, etc..) and also in the PDA and it works perfect. The images are even still contained there and can be pulled off with ease both via my PDA and PC card-reader.. but as soon as I stick it back in the camera, bang .. error messages. Sometimes I can't even format it, but can do so via the PC or PDA.. again, no problems.

I wonder if this camera has known issues with memory cards over a certain size / speed..? -- and I can't blame the SD card as it works with both the PC & PDA..

I have been in contact with my supplier and they have agreed to replace it with another - but I'm very concerned that its going to be the same issue again.
Viva Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

When i had an Ixus 40 i used a Panasonic 1gb high speed card with no problems.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:28 AM   #3

i got the same memory errors as you did, and it had to do with a faulty sd card.

i knew the card was suspect cuz it was seedy with my usb card reader also....and with other sd cards both camera and reader worked fine

...i had a hard time proving it was the card and not the camera to the retailer....so i:

got a 6v dc adaptor, stripped the wires and shorted the sd card to kill it definetely....no marks and no burny smell

the replacement has had no errors

not proud of it but i saved myself a lot of time and frustration.............
who_cares? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:37 AM   #4

Hi

I experienced exactly the same as Viva Revolution. The card works fine up to 40% of its capacity, the the error messege. The card is working perfect with my computer.

First the shop replaced my 256 MB Fuji card, but the problem persisted. The the shop replaced the camera, and still the problem persisted.

So this must either be a common problem with the IXUS 40 (I do not believe that a got two fawelty cards and two fawlty cameras by accident) or there must be something I do wrong when handeling the camera
Sigvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:38 AM   #5

I have got the same problem with SD500/IXUS 700 and Kingston Elite Pro 1GB SD card. The shop replaced it with a new one, but does not help. It seems that there is a firmware or hardware bug in all these new Canon models, using SD card,because it works ok until there is over 1min 10sec of video, or about 60 images. Then start these boot-up sequence problems. 3 different errors: Unidentified image with ? thumbnail, Unidentified image with real thumbnail, no image, or it may start ok, and I can see some images but not some of them.
If it starts ok I can take photos or video ok. but the same problem again when turning it on. If I remove images one by one, the camera dies, the software somehow hangs up, and I cannot turn it off except by removing the battery.
Canon has not specified any minimum speed or voltage to these cards, just SD or then I am blind. My card is 40x.
Canon Finland customer service told me to try with another cards!! OK, but the cards are packed, and in stores!! So do I have to by 10 differetn cards just to see which of them works?? Who pays these experiments?? NOT ME! I am soon getting so warm with this bullshit that has continued now for a month, that I will shoot somebody.
So panasonic works. What about Sundisk,Pretec,PNY,Transcend or others?? Anyone tried??
JussiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:40 PM   #6

I recently brought a Canon Ixus 40 digi camera and i brought myself a 1Gb Kingston SD memory card and i had the same exact memory card error on my camera on using that card i noticed the error appears after the card was 100Mb filled.

I couldnt playback my images just aicon saying unidentified image with a question mark. On recording i get the memory card error and cant even take pictures.

There seem to be a compatilbility problem with Canon camera and certain memory cards.

Does anyone reccomend a brand of memory card to use on my Ixus 40 which is error free? Anyone use Sandisk?

I dont want to buy another SD card and have the same error and waste money returning it to only get a certain percentage of the cost back??

seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:43 PM   #7

My problems are right now over. Now it works. Video is also OK. The store replaced that 1GB kingston elite pro with Sandisk 1GB normal card (not that ultra), which should be slower than kingston, without any extra fee. The price is about the same. In Cont. shooting mode it is a bit slower, but I do not use it so much. If I will buy one more card it will be that ultra.
seamonkey: replacing that kingston with a new one did not help. I saw it. change manufacturer!
JussiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:16 PM   #8

The same problem with an IXUS 700 and two 1GB SD cards, an OEM card and a Kingston (the normal one, not the Elite Pro). Does anybody know a brand/model that works? Sandisk 1GB normal/ultra/extreme SD cards do?

rlopezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:30 PM   #9

Problem solved with an Agfa 1GB SD Memory Card Ultra Performance (66x, 10MB/s, ECC). Expensive (135€) but ¡it works!
rlopezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:02 PM   #10

the cheapo PQI 45x also works
640x480 video is ok, will record until card is full
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote