Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:46 PM   #1

Hello. I am looking to purchase a point-and-shoot with some extra features. I currently shoot with a Fuji S2 digital SLR, but want something smaller that I can carry in my purse or diaper bag to take pictures of my young daughter when we are "on the go".

From reading the reviews and features, I have narrowed down my search to either the S60 or S70. I used to have a Nikon 5700, and the horrible shutter lag drove me nuts, particularly with taking pictures of kids... the kid would have literally moved on to something else by the time the shutter fired after pressing the button! This is one of the reasons I upgraded to a digital SLR. I love my Fuji S2 but I occasionally want the convenience of a small camera I can carry with me easily.

Anyone who already owns one of these cameras - can you tell me about the shutter lag?
Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:36 PM   #2

Neither are particularly fast. The S60 is a tad faster at wide angle, but nothing I would call good. Dave has a page like this in all of his reviews: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CS70/S70A7.HTM

You might take a look at the Olympus C7000 or Sony V3.

One thing I have found really helps is a continuous focus mode. You can pre-focus by half pressing the shutter and it continues to focus if you subject moves. You can take advantage of the usually very fast pre-focus shutter lag that way. It is often less than a tenth of a second. You have to muddle through the record menus or sometimes it is in the specs.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:57 AM   #3

Wow, thanks! That website is a good resource for quanitifying the shutter lag. The Sony V3 looks really neat, but the price .... ouch! The Olympus still looks like a full second of shutter lag.

I would also like to try to find a camera that has CF media since I already own several CF cards. The Sony uses CF, but I would have to do some searching for price.
Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote