Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I finally bought g6 and can't wait to take it out for some test shots. I noticed a lot of you seem to be very experienced with this camera. Can anyone give a couple of advices? For instance: pitfalls with the camera, what to use or what not to use.

All comments are appreciated (even the sarcastic ones)

leon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2

I've had my G6 for about 5 months now...I'm sure you'll like the camera.

If you plan to take portraits with flash, buy one of the externalCanon flash units, I have the 420 EX which is great.The camera'sbuilt in flash causes severe red eye.

I'd also suggest you buy either the Canon or Lensmate filter adagter and leave it on the camera all the time. It's great protection for the lens...

One last thing, the LCD is somewhat dim in bright daylight. You'll need to keep it shaded, and forget about wearing sunglasses when trying to use the LCD.... that makes the LCD really dark.... On the bright side, the optical viewfinder is pretty good...

Thequality of thepictures it takesis awesome...

regards....Santos

leon718 wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone. I finally bought g6 and can't wait to take it out for some test shots. I noticed a lot of you seem to be very experienced with this camera. Can anyone give a couple of advices? For instance: pitfalls with the camera, what to use or what not to use.

All comments are appreciated (even the sarcastic ones)

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Welcome to the G6 world.

I have had a G3 and got my G6 as a "free upgrade" last October.

A couple of things. 1) Always try to focus the shot before you take the pic. You can do this by pressing the shutter down half way, then the camera's little lights will flash showing you it's focused. This will help a lot when focusing on shots.

2) What you see through the view finder is not what you will get in your pic. The view finder is smaller then what is going to actually be in the shot.

3)The camera functions a lot faster (focusing and taking the shot) when you use the view finder and keep the LCD screen closed.

It's a great little camera, so have fun.

If you have any questions, feel free to post 'em.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4

When putting the G6 into the canon G6 camera case (ie the psc-70), put the camera in with the lens facing the rear of the case, and the rear of the camera facing the front of the case. If you try to put the camera into the case in the 'typical' way....ie lens facing the front of the case, the psc-70 case has a seam ridge along the front-inner edge of the case, which has a big chance of catching the on-off lever when you put the camera into the case. Thus the ridge can catch the lever and accidently turn on the camera. As a result, the camera turns on and the zoom lens will extend while inside the case, which is undesirable.

So to avoid the above, you can put the camera in 'backwards', with the lens facing the rear of the camera....because there's no seam ridge on the 'rear' inner-edge of the psc-70.

If you don't have a psc-70 case, then it's probably better to get some other camera case.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:46 AM   #5

My only suggestions is to keep using it and playing with it. I've had mine for 6 months now and swore at it 90% of the time for the first 4 months and regreted buying it. Now I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. It's a great camera. Have fun and good luck.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:02 AM   #6

I think it's a great camera.

I bought the teleconverter which adds to the camera's capacity. It has to be open full bore but still takes wonderful pictures.

Hope you enjoy it.
Moongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

Moongold wrote:
Quote:
I think it's a great camera.

I bought the teleconverter which adds to the camera's capacity. It has to be open full bore but still takes wonderful pictures.

Hope you enjoy it.
I was wondering about the teleconverter, if it really did the job? More info would be most appreciated...

Leon, don't mean to steal your thread, just didn't see the need to start a new one about the G6. Hope you understand...

Later....
Farmer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8

ImKayd1 wrote:
Quote:
My only suggestions is to keep using it and playing with it. I've had mine for 6 months now and swore at it 90% of the time for the first 4 months and regreted buying it. Now I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. It's a great camera. Have fun and good luck.

Suzan
Please tell us about the first six months, so we can learn.
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:28 AM   #9

Most of my photos are of landscapes/cityscapes. Will the G6 give photo quality equal to that of a DSLR?
len u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:45 PM   #10

len u wrote:
Quote:
Most of my photos are of landscapes/cityscapes. Will the G6 give photo quality equal to that of a DSLR?
Not all the time. For shooting at night, you can stick a big lens onto a DSLR to get more light and you can get lower noise at higher ISO values.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote