Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1

Hello all. I am Mitch and this is my first posting here although I have been lurking and learning for the past few months now.

After months of research, I purchased a G6 two days ago. Well, in taking it through its paces, I discovered some flaws in the unit I bought.

First, the movie mode would not switch on, it just remained in Stitch mode. I tried all manner of settings I could think of and finally, called Canon support. After much discussion, it was deemed I was better off returning the camera. It turned out that one had to hunt with the mode dial until the lcd indicated it was in movie mode.

Well, I thought to myself, since I did purchase the camera for stills and not video, I could learn to live with it, albeit with a sour taste. It was then that I decided to really go through all the settings the camera was capable of. In doing so, I found another glitch in the system and that was with the manual focusing system. It would either not focus or jump to extremes. I must add that the battery was freshly charged and the CF was formatted by the camera.

The packaging of the camera gave no indication that it was a returned unit. The retailer was empathic towards my dismay at what I thought was a good camera. I have no doubts that the unit I bought was a dud, especially after having read so many comments/reviews on it. Indeed, if the retailer had another camera to exchange this one, I would have gladly taken it. Alas, it was the last un-opened unit they had.

The purpose of this post is not to slur the manufacturer or the retailer or anyone for that matter. I just wanted to let people know that that shiny new camera they brought home may have hidden defects which are not readily apparent. As far as I could tell, the camera performed well in modes that a casual user would use. However, two days of use would hardly constitute thorough testing.

Finally, I want to thank Steve and all that contribute to this forum. It is a very informative site.

Thank you for listening.

Mitch
mitchcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:23 AM   #2

mitch, what you need to do is hire a professional photographer and have him use your G6. tell him how you want to shoot a scene and he'll take care of the rest.

but in all seriousness, how did you figure you were going to get to the movie mode without switching the camera to movie mode?
as for the manual focusing, though i have the G5. i figure it might use the same concept of focusing in brackets by increment. 6inch-10inch-20inch- 2ft- etc... personally, it never bothered me.

you just have to spend some time learning its one or two quirks(as opposed to the other cameras out there quirks) which is easily overshadowed by its great output in photos.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:42 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments, Berto.

I am not a pro, by any means. However, I have been into photography since my late teens, having started with a K1000 in high school. I also do my own wet work.

My gripe was not with the photo quality but rather the build quality. As I have said, I had no doubt the specimen I had was a dud. I don't care who you are or how big your name is in the industry (whatever it may be) but with the copious amounts of units one has to produce within a given time frame, there will no doubt be a few that manage to pass the scrutiny of QC and be sold to the un-suspecting public, namely you and I. And for Canon tech support, by phone and email, to suggest I bring it in to a support center for repairs, well that suggests to me there was something inherently wrong with that particular specimen.

Again, my post was not to denigrate the efforts of these companies. It was simply an informative post on my experience with my first digital camera purchase. I am in the IT field and I know that the latest and the "best-est" can still be a lemon once brought home. Sadly, no one in my immediate area has stock of this particular model and delivery would take 3-4 weeks.

Cheers, Mitch.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

Sorry about your troubles Mitch. You did get your money back right?

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

So what happened in the end? Since the camera is under warranty, I'm pretty sure that you're entitled to get the camera fixed up properly, or at least be able to swap it for a brand new one from canon. If it was me...I'd demand a brand new one.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:25 AM   #6

Yes I did get my money back. Canon support said to bring it in to repair center. I don't think so. Not with a two day old camera.

I did look around town for another at the same price I got it for, no such luck though. I am just going to play the waiting game again until they put it on sale.

Mitch
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:38 AM   #7

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. There certainly duds out there in all camera brands and you have to really check out your camera when you get it home.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote