Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:32 PM   #21

I totally agree with you.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:53 PM   #22

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
Well I bought a Konica Z5 yesterday, I wanted zoom and anti-shake (stabilser), once I got it home, I was really disappointed. Plenty of noise and a real problem with taking pictures indoors during the evening, with usual lounge type lighting, the auto focus REALLY struggled.

I returned it today and am now a proud S1 IS owner. I never print out more than at 7x5 or 8x6 (rare), so the 3MP is fine for me (we have an A75, which is still going strong).

I have owned a G6, beautiful pictures but not enough zoom for me. My dream camera would be a G6 with x10 zoom and image stabiliser - or the S2-IS as it is otherwise called:-).
Hi, I had the same experience with the Z5 plus the colors were really off. I bought the Z5 Sunday, but I am returning it tonight. I had ordered the Canon S1 IS from Sears, but I read that the Canon S2 IS will be out in May, so I am not even going to open it and wait for the S2 IS with the assist beam and a few other nice features.

This is my first post. I have visited Steve's site for months to read the excellent reviews, but I just found the forum.

BTW, I printed off the whole Z5 manual and if anyone out there wants it, I will send it for free. I hate for it to go into the trash.
rita416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:25 AM   #23

hi.
i`m worried about S2 accsessories list:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=11368
it does not show underwater housing for it.. is it too early?
S1 has one.
oinanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 9:28 AM   #24

MPEG4 video would have been nice but oh well... it remains to be seen how the S2 performs when it comes to focusing, which was very slow on the S1...

As far as teh waterproof case is concerned, unless you really plan to use the camera underwater quite often, it is not worth it. The case costs almost 50% of the cost of teh camera!

My guess is that the Panasonic is still probably the best for still pics. The S2 IS will likely be best if you care about video+pics. The prices will also matter, since Sony H1 is pretty similar to the S2 IS...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:34 PM   #25

I must say I am disappointed from the S2 IS specifications. I don't think that it has to offer something more than FZ20, and the expected price is 500$, which makes it more expensive than FZ20. Acccoring to the specs:

Image formats: • JPEG (EXIF 2.2)
• Super Fine, Fine, Normal

NO RAW MODE ??? Duh, hopefuly by the time they release it, the price of FZ20 will go down to 400 :evil:. Who cares about the stupid video mode - if you want to shoot video, buy a cam.

Having watied for that long. I feel really dissapointed. Was hoping for something more. If only S5100 had IS ..........
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 9:08 PM   #26

djredhat wrote:
Quote:
I must say I am disappointed from the S2 IS specifications. ... Who cares about the stupid video mode - if you want to shoot video, buy a cam.
"Who cares about the stupid video mode?..." Uhhh... maybe the people who want a convergence device - that combines a digicam and a camcorder. Honestly - you REALLY didn't know that it would have a video mode? That's sort of the whole point of the S2 isn't it? It's like complaining that a Ferrari has 400 horsepower. It's pointless to complain about it - just buy something else that's more suited to your needs/tastes. If you don't want/need the video mode, then I totally agree - there are much better choices out there. Critique THEM.
cvicisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 6:03 PM   #27

cvicisso wrote:
Quote:
Uhhh... maybe the people who want a convergence device - that combines a digicam and a camcorder.

Well, why don't justget a cell phone (for free with3 yrs contract)- most new models take video andpics. As a bonus, you can make phone calls and even browse internet. :?
Old May 8, 2005, 6:11 PM   #28

cvicisso wrote:
Quote:
It's like complaining that a Ferrari has 400 horsepower.

I'd say it's like complaining that your Ferrari comes with a big trunk or a bath-tub. :blah:

You want nice pics, you get digicam. You need a decent video - buy a camcorder. Everything else is nonsense.
Old May 8, 2005, 7:33 PM   #29

Don't get me wrong - I'm agreeing with you that there are better choices that do EACH thing (video and stills) better. But the whole point of the S1 and S2 is to provide both in one package. You sounded surprised that the S2 has a video mode. THAT surprised me. What were you expecting - Canon already has just about every other niche covered already... don't they? If you don't need video - choose one of their many (MANY!) other models.

It's like getting on the 'Ferraris with Bathtubs' forum (is that better?), and saying, "Man - I've been waiting soooo long for the new Ferrari-with-a-baththub, and was soooo disappointed to discover that the new one has - yep - a bath-tub!"

As for me, I can tell you that there is a market for such a convergence device (the camera - not the Ferrari :G). Good point about the cell-phone-camera... ha ha ha. But seriously, if I want to take GREAT stills AND 640x480-30fps video with a 10-12X zoom and image stabilization - c'mon man! You're not being fair! I usually only want to lug around one device - ya know? I know, I know... the video won't be as good, and I'll be serioulsy limited by file sizes/storage media. That's ok because my top priority is STILLS (hence - the cell-phone-camera is out). The video mode is reserved for the occasional great opportunity. I don't want to carry around a camcorder for that. If I'm shooting a play or a ball game or something that I know will take a while - yes, I'll bring my old Digital 8mm (MAN! That thing is HEAVY though!).

Those are MY needs. Different folks will require different gear (obviously).
cvicisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:49 PM   #30

I like the fact that they've gone to an SD card, but will wait until the S3 with the raw mode comes around.

Since I've only had the S1 for 5 months I'll wait until there is more improvement.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote