Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 9, 2005, 3:31 PM   #31

I see your point.

I should have put that in a different way. I wanted to mentionthe improvements they announced, not about the video mode as such:

Simultaneous movies and stills

A new Photo-in-Movie feature lets users capture a maximum resolution still image whilst shooting a movie by simply pressing the shutter release. Movie recording is temporarily interrupted whilst the still image is captured, continuing thereafter until the user chooses to stop. The video footage and still image are saved separately and the fragmented sequence can be stitched back together with a special edit menu option in the supplied ZoomBrowser EX 5.2 / ImageBrowser 5.1 software.

That's not what I was hoping for ((- wanted more improvements on the image side. I didnt want to buy a new digicam before this one as I thought S2 would offer some new fancy stuff and major improvements over its rivals. I guess it was all in my head.

djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:55 PM   #32

when will we be able to purchase an S2?
eido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:45 PM   #33

hi (uk'er here, in case your all American, er not that thats a bad thing)
Love this website, always use it for any camera stuff)

Current camera Fuji S5000:

Lovely camera, but really miss the idea of IS, impossible to hold it still enough while out and about on full zoom, and no im not taking a tripod.

The biggest things for me with the S2 are, in order

IS (YES PLEASE)
12xzoom
0cm macro
Manual focus
Looks fairly good (not as nice as the S5000, and 10 million times better than the minolta Z5)
bigger screen
The better video is a nice bonus

And i will be getting one as soon as its out (unless someone tells be there is a better option

Sounds like the battery life is no where near as good as the S5000, which is a shame.

SD cards are a plus point as there cheaper then XD cards (S5000)

Street (internet) Prices in the UK are quoted as £350, but am going to the states soon so.. maybe...(even if the warranty is regional, ill have to hope it doesnt break)

Anyone know when its out in the states, as canon just say any time in June for UK release.

Anyone got a better camera option for me? for£350 max?

Good forum , keep it up
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:51 PM   #34

oops sorry just thought of another major question...

I print out some pics very large (thanks to www.photobox.com or co.uk) and...

The Fuji S5000 is 3.1mp with 6mp after interpolation, the S2 is (i think) 5mp WITHOUT interpolation. Is that correct?

Which means the S2 will produxe smaller (physical) size pics but the clarity of the pic should be better? yes?

Basically, am i better of with the S2 for large prints?

fanks again.

simon
Old May 10, 2005, 8:35 AM   #35

Fuji aimed to use a 3 mp camera as 6 mp with interpolationby shooting two pictures 3mp at a time(not exactly at the same time) and creating more effective pixels then generating the other pixels from them but it wasonly a well intentioned study (or sales policy -selling it like 6mp-). It wasn't working like 6mp so fuji released s5100 with no interpolationand 4mp.

The biggest problem about Fuji, s5000 and s5100 has some problems colors if you comparethem with most canon cameras. They are really sharp according to their prices. I think s5000 and s5100 are comparable S1.

"Basically, am i better of with the S2 for large prints?" Yes you will and as you know the smaller physical size is not important because you can convert it to bigger physical sizewith beterclarity.

schrodingersdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:24 AM   #36

What's everyone's view on the SD vs. CF switch with the S2. I was actually hoping the S2 would keep the CF2 format - microdrives are crazy-cheap, and you can always pop an SD card into a CF adapter... right?

I've been using an A70 for the past couple of years, so I've grown kind of fond of the CF cards. Am I off base here? Why does everyone seem to be happy that Canon has switched to SD?
cvicisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 1:17 AM   #37

Hi !

This is my very first post. i'm also one of many who's looking forward to read more on S2, thinking it'll be my camera of choice. it has all the things that i expect fr a digicam, having owned a PnS digicam for the past 3 yrs. yes, VGA movie mode is one of my requirements, alongwith AA battery, which count out the FZ5 fr consideration. the only concern is external flash without hot-shoe. i read that some slave flash can be used such as vivitar DF200. anyone has experience with slave flash that works with camera with built-in flash? i'm looking for bounce type flash, so canon's DC1 is not for me.

my view on SD card? well, for one i don't own any CF cards! i hv an SD card for my PDA, & SD card seems like the future card for digicam so i'm for it!

mpeg4 movie would be nice to hv becoz of small file size, but i can compensate that by having a portable hard disk storage with card slot.

rgds
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:55 AM   #38

ajay? welcome.

What is this portable hard disk with card reader you mention? it wouldnt be called a laptop would it?

Im after a small portable (battery op pref) storage device for saving pics on the move.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:33 AM   #39

simonbratt99, i wouldn't want to carry a laptop with me during my photo expedition! :-)

it's a hard disk (usually a notebook one) inside a case, battery-powered, with memory card slot. maybe with a small monochrome LCD to check the function, which can also be connected to pc via usb cable. i'm on the look out for that as well but i'm sure you can get it at your friendly PC shop. you can have the expensive branded one with picture viewer, but i'llsettle for a simple much cheaper version

something like this :

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product...1d85499f213c44
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 11:38 AM   #40

ajay , you realise you have to add the cost of the hard drive at the bottom, ie min cost $299+

In the last hour or two ive learn all about portable storage from this posting
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=67

wise up foo . lol