Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 11, 2005, 4:14 PM   #41

cvicisso wrote:
Quote:
What's everyone's view on the SD vs. CF switch with the S2. I was actually hoping the S2 would keep the CF2 format - microdrives are crazy-cheap, and you can always pop an SD card into a CF adapter... right?
SD is the way to go. It's much smaller and size is what counts for consumer and low-end prosumer cameras. I have the S1 IS and am happy with CF but I think SD will rule the future... prices of SD will drop to the point where 2GB can be reasonably had without breaking one's budget.... the CF microdrives are not as durable so most people don't use them anyway...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:17 PM   #42

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
I like the fact that they've gone to an SD card, but will wait until the S3 with the raw mode comes around.
I would guess that you won't see raw mode in S3 or any of the similar cameras in the near future. Most consumers don't use--and don't need--raw images. I'm not saying I'm an expert or anything, but, I'm pretty happy with my superfine pics from the S1 (more resolution would help but the quality is fine)... superfine JPEG is fine for most users so I don't think camera manufacturers will push for that. If anything, I think MPEG4 video would make it before raw mode......
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 7:28 PM   #43

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
ajay , you realise you have to add the cost of the hard drive at the bottom, ie min cost $299+

In the last hour or two ive learn all about portable storage from this posting
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=67

wise up foo . lol
yes, i do realise that. i'm sure there's even cheaper alternative. btw that 299 is in singapore dollar, not USD, so it's quite ok..
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:26 AM   #44

Well, all you chaps who have waited patiently for the S2 must be really happy now. Canon has packed another 1.8 million pixels into a sensor which is barely 1mm more than that of the S1 (1/2.7",9.4mm vs 1/2.5",10.2mm); that should give nice noisy pictures with no dof control whatever; hand holding a 10X zoom is tricky enough, IS or no IS; imagine handholding a 12X zoom!

And SD cards: for heaven's sake!! what are we to do with our several hundred dollars worth of CF cards and microdrives?

I dont know about you chaps, but I think I will stick to my S1 for now!!
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 4:25 AM   #45

i don't think canon make S2 for S1 user to upgrade. i mean, you guyschange your cam on a yearly basis?? forthose who have PnS with small zoom cam (i'm one of 'em), it's a big upgrade! & that's why we're so lookng fwd to it. so for those who don't like what it has to offer, then just simply give it a miss. period.
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 6:23 AM   #46

ajay. AHHHH not US dollars... that explains alot, (i did think it was expensive)

oh and this IS better be good, thats why im sellin ma Fuji s5000, for this S2
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 6:52 AM   #47

I agree on the CF card. Why the change???

>>What's everyone's view on the SD vs. CF switch with the S2. I was actually hoping the S2 would keep the CF2 format - microdrives are crazy-cheap, and you can always pop an SD card into a CF adapter... right?

I've been using an A70 for the past couple of years, so I've grown kind of fond of the CF cards. Am I off base here? Why does everyone seem to be happy that Canon has switched to SD?<<
Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:34 AM   #48
TCB

What I really want to know aside from the quality of pics etc...is when will this be available....I know June, but eon't a retailer have these before then? Anyone know who will have it first?

The FZ20 has the same sensor size and it's pics are fine, if not great....so big deal about the size for me.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:41 AM   #49

hmm me too, i phoned a few places inc canon but all i get is June....sometime. So prolly that means july or august i think.

Change ya life......use it or loose it
http://www.teachmepc.org
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:39 AM   #50

I don't think this movie is near to DVD quality.The quality is below my expectation.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/s...a/MVI_0716.AVI (22,9MB)

I need a second view

schrodingersdog is offline   Reply With Quote