Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 13, 2005, 10:43 AM   #51

Quote:
What I really want to know aside from the quality of pics etc...is when will this be avail
I'm in Canada, I contacted some online retailers about when this would be available and this is the reply I got from Aden Camera "Our earliest indication from Canon Canada (from this morning) for the release/shipping date of the PowerShot S2 IS is late May."

I hope it's in soon, I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival too.
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:20 PM   #52

I don't know about 'dvd quality' , but looks great to me considering the whole package . How much video and say 100 stills could you expect at veryfine on a 1 gig card?

( or even more to the point how much is one VF still worth in video?)

thx eido
eido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 11:38 AM   #53

The S1's video is really top quality and much easier to handle than DV; i have put several long clips onto DVD and they look absolutely gorgeous on my projection TV.

S2's video has the bonus of stereo sound which most dvd recording programs can encode to 5/6 channel dolby
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:19 PM   #54

Hi guys nice info on this thread! I would like to add my 2 cents about video on a digicam and why I like hybrid camera's. Ok given their video shortcomings, any camera which can give you 30fps with a silent zoom during movie (unlike my Minolta Z2) I think is enticing to many. Last year I was on vacation in NH and had the MinoltaZ2 beside me and we saw a young moose on the side of the road. We stopped and I persued the moose into the woods and entered a thicket/wetlands and lost site of it. I thenpeeked through the thicket and there she was Momma Moose with her yougin and without my zoom (10X on the Z2) I never would have captured the moment of a lifetime for me. Video quality was ok but if I had the Canon S2 with (Image Stabilization) and stereo sound it is likely it would have been far better (we'll wait for reviews). Coupled with the awesome pics Canons are known for I will certainly considerEbaying my Minolta Z2 and taking the proceeds as a downpayment on the S2. In summary I guess if I had a video camera I might not have been inclined to have it handy and I would have missed the moose. Small hybrids with half decent video are indeed in demand and Canon has finally woken up I hope..... The icing on the cake would be if this camera could be used as a webcam but since the S1 couldn't I guess that this won't either.
myotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:39 AM   #55

Do you think it goes without saying that the S2 spec will be the same worldwide?

I just thought i read it DIDNT have AF assist, and another thred says it defo does?

(selling ma FujiS5000+extras for £170, might have a buyer)
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:50 PM   #56

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

Although I didn't see it at the Canon site it says Dp Review link above that the S2 does indeed have afocus assist lamp. Also if you look at the S2 you can see what looks like the AF Assist Lamp on the front of the camera.....
Old May 16, 2005, 8:16 PM   #57

i haven't read any site mentioning specifically that it doesn't have AF assist. not mentioning about it doesn't mean it doesn't have AF assist. i don't think canon would want to differentiate such an importantfeature between countries. it's not like PAL vs NTSC or english language vs france, IMHO! & i agree too that the front side (top right corner) have something that really looks likea lamp. if it's not for AF assist in low light, then i don't know what it is for
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 9:30 PM   #58

I too am waiting patiently for the s2. I guess I should keep it light for my first post.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 5:42 AM   #59

ajay67 wrote:
Quote:
i haven't read any site mentioning specifically that it doesn't have AF assist. not mentioning about it doesn't mean it doesn't have AF assist. i don't think canon would want to differentiate such an important¬*feature between countries. it's not like PAL vs NTSC or english language vs france, IMHO! & i agree too that the front side (top right corner) have something that really looks like¬*a lamp. if it's not for AF assist in low light, then i don't know what it is for
actually it does have AF assist lamp

check this out
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/components-e.html

doudydoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:36 PM   #60

Nice link abovedoudydoudy now I'm even hungrier for the darn reviews of this digicam. This thing has a lot of buttons and options on it! I like the buttons more than deep menus when they can be avoided. One of the simplest buttons which so many darn manufacturers miss is the delete button. On my current Digicam you have to go through a menu to delete pictures. YOu should be able to hit a delete button once and be prompted "are you sure" and then be able to hit that same delete button again to delete a picture. So many cameras leave this simple approach out. NOt sure what the S1 did but hope the S2 gets the simple stuff right..

This blog info seems to highlight the strengths of the older and soon to be replaced S1 which surely makes the S2 something to get excited about. Hightlight: this camera focuses better than the competition in minimal light. Now if this is true and it did this without AF assist which the new big brother has as shown in this thread WOW:

http://eebahgum.blogspot.com/2004/12...-digicams.html