Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:39 PM   #11

Dark Cobra wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing again. Canon had a unique opportunity here to leap "ahead" for a change and not just play "catch-up" to their competitiors. No MPEG4 movie mode, continued limited movie shooting (1gb limit), no RAW still shooting mode, still has a LCD smaller than 2" (unreal) and they really could have put in a 1/1.8 sensor instead of the 1/2.5.
Yeah, I hope the 1/2/5" CCD in the specs is a misprint.Otherwise I would have to say that instead of raising the bar, Panasonic, Kodak, et als.are lowering it. And Canon couldn't be happier.Maybe cameras with 1/1.8" CCDs are a thing of the past?!?
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:55 PM   #12

everybody always forgets - if they put a 1/1.8 or larger sensor in, they can't make such a nice compact 12x lense. The larger the sensor, the larger the lense needs to be.

There is a reason they use that size sensor - gotta keep the overall size of the camera down.

What I would really like to see is a camera with a wider wide angle. I would like it to start at least at 28mm, 24 would be really nice. I'd gladly give up the long end...

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:59 AM   #13

Well you said the larger the sensor the larger the camera..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But a PAnasonic FZ-20 has a 1/2.5 sensor andinstead much smaller cameras like Sony W5 or Canon A95 have a 1/1.8 sensor.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:40 AM   #14

I'm no camera expert but what they said was
Quote:
if they put a 1/1.8 or larger sensor in, they can't make such a nice compact 12x lense. The larger the sensor, the larger the lense needs to be.
Both camera's that you mentioned only have a 3X optical zoom. Perhaps when you go all the way up to 12X you would need an even bigger lenseif you used a 1/1.8 sensor, thereforeyou would have abigger camera.

By the way, does anybody know what price this will come out at or the date it will be available to purchase?
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:52 AM   #15

The S2IS will be available in June for $500.

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3043

The same price as the competition, namely the:

- Panasonic FZ5
- Sony DSC-H1
- KM DiMAGE Z5

All have similar specs as well:
- 12X IS Optical zoom
- ~1/2.5" (Sony is 1/2.4") CCD Sensor.
thunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:59 AM   #16

Quote:
a slightly shorter (front-to-back) body (so it wouldn't quite bulge my pocket so much)
a faster lens at wideangle (preferably F/1.4, but F/2.0 would be acceptable, and I'd be willing (particularly if it has an extra long telephoto) to tolerate a stop-down to F/4.0 at full zoom)
more zoom range at both ends (36-432mm is nice though, but I wanted a figure of merit in the 1.6 to 2 plus trillion range instead of just 940 billion (2592x1944x432^2=940,369,969,152). Maybe 27-648mm (24x).
no limit on movie recording time / capacity
keep the CF card (I have almost 2GB of CF cards of various sizes, plus a currently non-functional 4GB microdrive)
a 1/1.8" sensor, of course - preferably 5 megapixel so the noise doesn't get out of hand.
ISO 800 (I looked at a couple shots of ISO 800 on the Sony DSC-V1, and it doesn't look all that bad from the samples I've seen), and maybe ISO 1600.
nightshot mode (like on the Sony digicams, but with full manual controls)
The specs you mention are impossible. Firstly you mention:

- You want something smaller.

However, with a 1/1.8" sensor, to get the same aperture and zoom range, the lens would have to be huge.

But you even want a larger aperture and more zoom (from a very wide angle). Do you realize how big this beast would be? It is a matter of physics and what you want is impossible.
thunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:04 AM   #17

There is no info about viewfinder resolution???
In Canon web only say:

Color LCD viewfinder Picture coverage rate 100%
Dioptric Adjustment -5.5 - +1.5 m-1(dpt)

But no metion about resolution....:?:
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:21 PM   #18

mayo wrote:
Quote:
There is no info about viewfinder resolution???
In Canon web only say:

Color LCD viewfinder Picture coverage rate 100%
Dioptric Adjustment -5.5 - +1.5 m-1(dpt)

But no metion about resolution....:?
The resolution COULD be 115,000 pixels but the web site is not clear
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote