Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1

Disappointing again. Canon had a unique opportunity here to leap "ahead" for a change and not just play "catch-up" to their competitiors. No MPEG4 movie mode, continued limited movie shooting (1gb limit), no RAW still shooting mode, still has a LCD smaller than 2" (unreal) and they really could have put in a 1/1.8 sensor instead of the 1/2.5.
Is it an improvement over the S1? Sure it is, we knew that was coming. But again, whenever Canon has an opportunity to incorporate into their cameras what their competitors are already doing . . . Canon always holds back! It's really getting frustrating and that's why they are loosing market share to the likes of Panasonic, Casio etc. Come on Canon, if your competitors can put the above items in their cameras . . . so can you.
Watch . . . the S3 will take a bold step and offer a 1.9" LCD. Unreal.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:09 PM   #2

yea...

I was hoping for:

a slightly shorter (front-to-back) body (so it wouldn't quite bulge my pocket so much)
a faster lens at wideangle (preferably F/1.4, but F/2.0 would be acceptable, and I'd be willing (particularly if it has an extra long telephoto) to tolerate a stop-down to F/4.0 at full zoom)
more zoom range at both ends (36-432mm is nice though, but I wanted a figure of merit in the 1.6 to 2 plus trillion range instead of just 940 billion (2592x1944x432^2=940,369,969,152). Maybe 27-648mm (24x).
no limit on movie recording time / capacity
keep the CF card (I have almost 2GB of CF cards of various sizes, plus a currently non-functional 4GB microdrive)
a 1/1.8" sensor, of course - preferably 5 megapixel so the noise doesn't get out of hand.
ISO 800 (I looked at a couple shots of ISO 800 on the Sony DSC-V1, and it doesn't look all that bad from the samples I've seen), and maybe ISO 1600.
nightshot mode (like on the Sony digicams, but with full manual controls)

There have been some improvements, like better macro, stereo sound, AF assist, larger LCD, etc, though. However, while I had been thinking about selling my S1 and getting an S2, I'm having second thoughts about that now. Maybe if Sony (for example) comes out with a superzoom that's not too big, has a nightshot mode, uses AA batteries, and takes CF media, I might consider that.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:08 PM   #3

No low light focus assist again? After all the effort in bringing out this model, somebody at Canon must be mad not to add this feature. :?:evil::P

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:14 PM   #4

The sample pictures look none too impressive to me. There seems a lot of noise IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:30 PM   #5

Do you think the price of the S1 IS will drop when the second version will be out ?! I can wait 2 month if the price drops of 100$ !
fook_yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:37 PM   #6

The sensor of the FZ-5 is also a 1/2.5
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:40 PM   #7

If i were you guys i`d go for the FZ-5.....it`s priced at 500 euro here in Belgium.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Great features...not perfect but nevertheless the best at the moment for a superzoom camera
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:52 PM   #8

I understand it DOES have a focus assist.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:58 PM   #9

what the hell you talking about. the SI2 dose have a AF assist lamp

PowerShot S2 IS [specs]

* 5.0 effective Megapixel CCD (versus 3.2 on the S1)
* F2.7-3.5, 12X optical zoom USM lens (versus 10X on the S1)
* Optical image stabilizer
* DIGIC II image processor
* Rotating 1.8" LCD display plus electronic viewfinder (the S1 had a 1.5" LCD); new Night Display function (from the SD400/SD500) allows for good low light visibility
* AF-assist lamp (finally!)
* Now uses Secure Digital cards, versus CompactFlash on the S1
* Full manual controls
* Camera can shoot at 2.4 frames/second until memory card is full; high speed memory card recommended
* Record up to one hour or 1GB (whichever comes first) of VGA video at 30 frames/second with stereo sound; high speed memory card recommended
* New MovieSnap feature will take a still photo (at full resolution) while you're recording video; the video will pause briefly and you can combine the two videos back into one using included software
* 0 cm super macro mode (just don't scratch the lens...)
* Same My Color features as SD400/SD500
* USB 2.0 High Speed support
* Can take 550 shots per charge using four 2300 mAh batteries (nice!)
* Optional wide-angle, telephoto, and macro conversion lenses plus an external slave flash
* Ships in June for $500

If you ask me the screen may be smaller then others but I think the other features outweigh the size. Also 1 gig on the movie mode is quite alot. if I were going to take more video then that I would get a digital camcorder. Also which other camera do you know that have the movie snap feature. I for one like the limit so I know I am not using up my entire card for video and still have room for pictures. I think canon is right on the ball. it's features may not suite your needs but for most users this camera is targeted for I think it suits them very well.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:28 PM   #10

yes yes guys sorry, now I see. I somehow missed it in the specs sheet.:roll: