Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

Hi guys, i have an Sd300 / ixus 40 and love it by the way! I tried to take a photo of a fountain the other day and wanted to blur it slightly so the water looked more flowing. However, on long shutter mode even on 1 sec the end photo was totally white. Is this normal? I know its day time and all but thought there might be a way to get a bit of blur without totally over-exposing it.

Tried putting on iso 50, and cloudy AWB setting to force it to pause a bit but didn't quite work. I know this is no pro camera but thought there might be some way of getting ok shots in day from a 1 sec shutter.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks, Eddie.

Also have found that using slow sych flash for night time shots works really well, dont really know what its supposed to be used for but it makes nice night shots! anyone tried this / use this for night shots?!
teddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:07 PM   #2

Can you change aperture settings on your cam? If yes, use slowest aperture possible.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:39 PM   #3
dlg

You need to block some of the light, try to hold your sunglasses or a ND filter in front of the lens.
dlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:40 PM   #4

unfortunately not, the only proper manual control is long shutter option. Works well for night shots but not day time. Not to worry!! Thnks tho
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:50 AM   #5

I tried taking pictures of fountains and waterfalls with my Ixus 700 so you may consider tryingthese settings I used for great pictures:

1 second long shutter, flash off, ISO 50, set custom white balance and low sharpening.
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:42 AM   #6

Thanks IXUS 700, i'll give that a try
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:54 AM   #7

With regards setting the custom white balance... what is the best way of doing this if you don't have a grey card? I know how to physically do it with the camera but have never used this function with much sucess! Do you just use a blank piece of white paper and hold it in front of the camera? Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks