Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 24, 2005, 10:55 AM   #11

The repair note did not mention any fault. Neither has anyone offered to replace the camera.

How did you accomplish that? Are you dealing with the camera seller, who is seeking approval of Canon?
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 6:43 AM   #12

I bought my camera at one of Australia's biggest department stores - as you can understand, they will be a bit more lenient with returns and replacements.

I just took it back to the store about 4 days after purchase and told them of my problem. The technician (a nice fellow as well) said he'll confirm the problem with Canon and he will definitely call me back in 24 hours and i will probably get a new replacement. I didn't have to deal with Canon Australia directly.

Well, i collected it today. It still exhibits the same background whine but it seems to be of a lesser extent. I'm fairly satisfied with it despite showing the same problem - if i replaced it again, it will probably show the same noise!

The IXUS 700 (SD500) is a fantastic camera except for the fact that the video mode shows whining! All-in-all, i'm very happy with it.

Cheers.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:55 AM   #13

Hmm, I have the same problem too. And as far as I can understand its a design flaw because of the new position of the microphone which now produces less wind noise. Unfortunately its picking up inteferrence from the other components. I can't live with it, especially because my other ixus's didnt have this problem. But it seem to be difficult to get canon to admit that there is a problem here, which is needed atleast for me before I can return the camera. It has already been to the service center, who concluded that the noise, as they said, was under the "canon noise tollerance level" or whatever. Anyway this whining sound is not acceptable,I will update you guyswith my progress.

take a look at this page for examples of the noise:

http://homepage.mac.com/lannyfr/SD50...ES/Menu60.html

-Mads
Mads999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:53 PM   #14

are you hearing the noise using windows media player? try downloading virtualdub and play/listen from there. if you can't hear the same whining noise, then you can save the audio part as wav, resample it into 44.1Khz. it has solved my problem with my Ixy Digital 50 (SD300) which has also some kind of static noise when video played using windows media player
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:30 AM   #15

I am using media player classic.

It sounds interesting and always nice with a workaround, I will try it out.

Ofcouse it wont be something I can live with because I use the video functionality as much as I do.

Btw the noise is there when played on ixus aswell.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:45 AM   #16

Well, I just tried, and itdid not help.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:40 PM   #17

maybe you can use the audio fiter in virtualdub to cutoff the whining sound. you can use the low pass filter then just adjust to the cutoff freq to eliminate the unwanted noise. this will of course remove higher frequency portion of the audio.. but to heck with that. IMO it's a good compromise than having the whining sound in it.

edit. i didnt noticed if there is a band stop filter included in VDub. that will do a better job than the low pass filter
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:24 PM   #18

I tried that VirtualDub. I didn't see a band stop filter. Playing with the Low Band filter, by the time I eliminated the hum, it was hard to here the voices. Sort of like a radio with the tone knob turned all the way down.

My first SD500 had a modulating high pitched hum. I exchanged it, and this one has a lower backgound hiss. It is tolerable, so I'm keeping this one.

According to the past posts on this and other forums, it doesn't sound like sending it back to Canon will get you a totally noiseless video.

outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:57 AM   #19

Then maybe my case with IXY Digital 50 (SD300) is different. When played in Windows Media Player, i get an annoying "scratching sound". If same clip is played using VirtualDub, audio is ok (w/o the "scratching" sound). So if i were to do an MPEG out of the clip I will resample first thye audio into 44.1Khz then frameserve the video with the resampled audio into an encoder. (e.g. TMPGenc)

The low pass filter also works for me. I usually set the cutoff freq to about 6KHz and it effectively removes the "scratching" sound.