Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:16 PM   #1

The first time I recorded a movie, there was no noticeable noise on the replay. Recently, there is a static sound. The images are good, and you can hear voice comments. I have adjusted settings to see if resolution or fps made any difference - neither helped.

Any suggestions?

Or, should I return to Canon for a repair check? Any idea about how long it will take?

anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:17 PM   #2

Take it back to Canon. It should take around 1 - 3 days.
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3

I took it to the dealer who sold it to me. They need to mail it to the factory or Canon repair center. They estimated 2 - 6 weeks. I was trying to pick a time when I would not need / want the camera for that long. I like your estimate better. Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:43 PM   #4

2-6 weeks is crazy. If you take it to Canon personally, it's something like taking a jump from the very end of a queue to the front.

They'll either:

A. Service it for you (1-3 days)

B. Or replace your camera with a new one
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

I'm afraid taking it in personally is not an option. I am in Texas, and there appears to be no service location in Texas, according to the Canon service support web site.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:10 AM   #6

I sent the camera in today by overnight UPS. I was told by Canon it would take 10 -15 business days, but that service could be expedited by request, which I did. According to Canon, SD 500s should be sent to Elk Grove, Illinois.

We'll see.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:48 AM   #7

Hope you get your Ixus 700/SD500 fixed
Old May 23, 2005, 6:33 AM   #8

Hi,

I'm getting some annoying background whine when i record my videos or memo notes as well. Can you tell me how the repair goes? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:51 AM   #9

They worked on it promptly. It is easy to track the progress at the repair center and when it is returned.

The repair slip said that the camera had been checked for factory specifications and all is in order.

However, I still have background noise. I have talked to a technical representative who asked me to return it to the repair center. I will do this when an event passes at which I want to be able to take snapshots.

The noise now is more of a whine, like what you describe, than what it used to be - which I called static or like wind blowing. I can hear the new sound more on the camera replay than on the computer to which I have downloaded the film clip. Maybe (I haven't talked to Canon about this), it has more to do with the replay on the camera than in the film clip itself.

So, Canon is very attentive. But, there is still a noise, albeit different.

I hope this helps you.
Old May 24, 2005, 2:21 AM   #10

Thank you for your reply.

Makes me think that the whining sound is normal. Did your repair slip or Canon say anything about a fault or fixing a fault?

I just returned my SD500 and will be getting a replacement tomorrow once they confirm with Canon. I will report back.

Cheers!
Kim.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote