Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

Hi all,

Well my digi-cam hunt is over. My SD500 arrived on Saturday! I'm looking to hear from other users of the SD-series (hopefully SD500, but any similar series is great too).

-What shortcomings have you found with the camera? Have you found any work-arounds for these?

-What do you do to get the most out of the camera?

-Any recommended cases for it? I'm also looking for some sort of thin protective sleve, anything like this out there?

-Any other stories you'd like to share about your experience with the SD-series.

Thanks,

Scott
mgmidget72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:24 PM   #2

mgmidget72 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Well my digi-cam hunt is over. My SD500 arrived on Saturday! I'm looking to hear from other users of the SD-series (hopefully SD500, but any similar series is great too).

-What shortcomings have you found with the camera? Have you found any work-arounds for these?
Quote:
I am just a point and shoot person. I returned mine to the factory today for analysis of background noise in the movie mode. The movies are good visually and quite convenient to have in combination with the snapshots.
Quote:
You need to get close with your flash (within 10 feet), or the subjects will be darker than you may want. I am not good at touchup, but you can lighten the objects some. I do not have a separate flash, as that would be inconsistent with the convenience of a small camera. I have not experimented with adjusting the ISO, which may help, although I don't think it is available in the automatic mode.
Quote:
The delay in the shutter release when using a flash affects your ability to catch scenes that are soon lost because of subject movement - e.g., a small child moving or stopping smiling. That is true to some degree with all digitals, even the SLR, tho to a lesser degree. Try keeping the camera aimed, waiting for another opportune moment,and hold the shutter release half way down to reduce the lag time.
Quote:

-What do you do to get the most out of the camera?
Quote:
One of the best features is the ability, without losing resolution because of the 7.1 megapixels, to zoom in digitally after the picture is taken when you make prints, or even view the photo on the monitor. You will be amazed at what you can bring into the foreground - objects you can barely see in the original photo. My best example is a landscape taken from probably a mile away and capturing a flag waving at that distance.
Quote:

-Any recommended cases for it? I'm also looking for some sort of thin protective sleve, anything like this out there?
Quote:
I have a padded case, slightly larger than the camera, with a slot for an extra battery and another slot for the original 32 MB memory card. I bought the 512M memory card and carry the 32 as a spare. I have yet to run out of space, even taking several movies (at about 100 MB per minute). Of course, you can adjust the MBs used by changing your resolution and compression. The case still fits in a pocket of a coat (not a dress shirt pocket).

Quote:
-Any other stories you'd like to share about your experience with the SD-series.
Quote:
Except for the movie noise, which I hope can be resolved. it is quite convenient and good quality photos.
Quote:
For shots of small children, use the children and pets setting (SCN).
Quote:
I'm still learning, but find that the SD 500 is a good compromise of features, with an emphasis on convenience in having the camera around for unexpected "photo opps."

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Thanks,

Scott
anon is offline   Reply With Quote