Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:19 PM   #1

What's the image quality when using auto mode on the A95? I recently got a Nikon Coolpix 5200 but many of my pics come out grainy or blurry in auto mode. I'm looking at selling my Nikon and getting the Canon because it has more features like manual shutter/aperture and shutter priority and such, as well as AA batteries and the flip screen.

My main reason for a camera is just to take pics of me and my friends wherever I am, but I like having the extra features in case I want to take some good pics during trips and such. My girlfriend has taken classes in photography for the past three years so she helps me out with the technical stuff. She has a Canon S1 IS and it's really nice, so I'm looking at getting the A95 as a sort of lesser version of her S1 which has many of the same features.

My parents have a Canon PowerShot S500 and it takes great pictures, but I don't know if I like being so limited. I haven't seen any really bad pictures on the S500 in simple auto mode though, even in low light.

Anyway, I want to be able to pull out the A95 and take a pic on auto without it getting grainy or blurry. Does this camera take good auto pics?

Thanks.
nukem2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:35 AM   #2

You'll surely be satisfied with the Auto mode of the A95. You have only two settings available for you to manipulate in Auto mode. You're able to adjust the quality to the L setting and select low compression (Superfine setting).

By the way you describe your photography know-how, I guess you're still a newbie so I suggest you read the manual carefully and "practice" each setting if you can. This is mandatory to any camera you buy. You'll not be wasting film like the old days anyway so experiment as often as you can. Practice definitely makes perfect.

In Auto mode, always remember the A95's flash limit (or of any camera) as stated in the manual and you'll be fine. To get good night snapshots, I suggest getting the background also illuminated and not only your subjects most of the time. You'd be happier you did. You use Slow-synchro flash for this. Unfortunately, the A95 has no specific setting for Slow-synchro so I do it by setting it to SCN mode and selecting Night Snapshot. You also have the Indoor setting for you to experiment.

That's an advance tip for you. :-)
techram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3

Sorry, I forgot to add you can also adjust the Drive setting when in the A95's Auto mode. :-)
techram is offline   Reply With Quote