Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 17, 2002, 9:44 AM   #1

Default Canon S230 or Sony DSC P7

I have about 400.00 to spend on a digicam and have been looking at the S230 or the Sony P7 both seem to be great camera's. I know there are some differences like the Optical Zoom the storage media and such, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either of these.

I have read alot of praise on this board about the S230 but not much on the P7. So if anyone can give me advice on either of these it would be a great help.

Thanks!!
Decoder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2002, 7:59 PM   #2

Default Re: Canon S230 or Sony DSC P7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoder01
I have read alot of praise on this board about the S230 but not much on the P7. So if anyone can give me advice on either of these it would be a great help.
You know you're going to get a biased answer here in the Canon forum right?

All Sony products take great shots and the design of the cameras are really slick and ergonomic.

BUT

They all use that damn Memory Stick, which costs more and is slower than CF cards (writing and reading data), which are used by all Canon cameras.

Until Sony switches to CF cards (yeah right) stay away from Sony cameras unless you're already using Memory Sticks or have a Sony laptop or computer (which have Memory Stick drives built in).
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:19 PM   #3

Default Sony P7 vs. Canon S30 or S230

I just went to the store last night to pick up my camera. I was debating for weeks about which camera I should get. I was actually trying to decide between the Canon S30 and the P7 instead of the S230. I had read some negative reviews about the S230's flash and low-light pictures. Also, I like the 3x optical zoom. Anyway, I actually got home with the S230 because I thought I really wanted all the extra features. But after thinking about it for a while, I decided that I really won't ever use those extra features and that it isn't worth an extra $50 nor all the extra weight. So I went right back and got the P7. I'm totally happy with the size, the weight, and the overall feel of the P7. It fits in my pocket much better, I'll be more likely to take it places, and to be honest, I will not ever need the extra manual features found on the Canon. So, if size and feel is even remotely important to you, I'd recommend going with the Sony. If you plan on taking really good, scenic pictures, then the Canon will take better pictures. But for your average point and shoot, and 4x6 pictures...Sony all the way.
spennyd is offline   Reply With Quote