Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1

I know the A520 is the upgrade to the A80 (or is it 85), but anyway. So far the only differences I'm seeing between the A95 and the A520 are:

a) two AA batteries instead of four (lighter - good thing)
b) no swivel LCD
c) no Custom mode (don't really see why I'd use Custom over Manual, or really what the difference between them is)
d) 4mp instead of 5mp (Probably won't be doing very large prints so I doubt this makes much difference)
e) cannot turn off AiAF in any mode except manual (I'm not positive about this but it's what I gather from Steve's review)
f) 4x zoom instead of 3x (I also like this)

Anybody have any suggestions? The reason I'm looking at the 520 now is because I plan to carry my camera with me very often and am worried that having 4 batteries in the camera may make it heavy, and since the A520 only uses two, that it may be a better choice. Anybody with an A95 that can tell me what it's like to carry around in your pants pocket all day?

I just got an RMA refund number from newegg to send back my Nikon Coolpix 5200 and it's pretty small / light, and it feels quite unnoticeable in my pocket (like my motorola cell phone). Is the A95 uncomfortable to carry in one's pocket?

One thing that really bothers me, though, is that I don't believe the AiAF can be turned off in Aperture AE or Shutter AE modes on the A520, and I really hate the AiAF. Is this correct?
nukem2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2

The A95 in my personal experience is not "that" pocketable. But you can still put it in your pocket although it will bulge somewhat. With the included wrist strap permanently attached on the camera, I use a special Canon Powershot case that can be slid in the belt and placed anywhere on the waist. I would suggest a neckstrap/string but that may be too heavy for you.

A light camera to me would mean careful focusing and careful pressing of the shutter to prevent blurry shots so I'm comfortable with the size of the A95. However, it's still a matter of personal preference.

You can't turn off the A95 AiAF in Auto mode but you can in most of the other modes like Tv, Av, etc. The swivel screen is a huge huge plus for me 'coz I can take hard-to-frame angled shots easily. Also, the G and Pro 1-like features of the A95 outweigh the two AA batteries-only-feature and 4X zoom of the A520 (such as the ability to use Manual mode in some situations).

At most times, I use the Center focusing and not AiAF. But there are times I switch to AiAF when the focus hunts especially in low-light situations. The good thing is, it's there when you need it. The Flexizone focusing feature is another bonus for me. :-)
techram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Hi,
Little Bunny is a Canon A95 user and will give his opinion in these subjects...

nukem2k5 wrote:
Quote:
I know the A520 is the upgrade to the A80 (or is it 85), but anyway. So far the only differences I'm seeing between the A95 and the A520 are:

a) two AA batteries instead of four (lighter - good thing)

Li'l B. asks: how much does a couple of AA batteries weigh?, come on, is not like you are going to tie the camera to your little finger. I mean... if you use a case with a neck strap, you won't find any difference.

b) no swivel LCD

LB: Although this may seem more like a toy, I found it really useful to protect the LCD screen. Furthermore, you can take snaps from a wider variety of angles (you won't have to lie on the floor, double your height nor triple your arm length).

c) no Custom mode (don't really see why I'd use Custom over Manual, or really what the difference between them is)

LB: The Custom Mode stores the settings of the Creative Mode (P, Av, Tv, M) of your choice. So, for instance, when you have to be alert and choose quickly between film something or take a shot, you'll just have to switch back and forth the between Film Mode and Custom.

d) 4mp instead of 5mp (Probably won't be doing very large prints so I doubt this makes much difference)

LB: You are absolutely right.

e) cannot turn off AiAF in any mode except manual (I'm not positive about this but it's what I gather from Steve's review)

LB: Mmmmhh... if you want to control your focus every time without making the whole Manual set up...

f) 4x zoom instead of 3x (I also like this)

LB: You are absolutely right.

Anybody have any suggestions? The reason I'm looking at the 520 now is because I plan to carry my camera with me very often and am worried that having 4 batteries in the camera may make it heavy, and since the A520 only uses two, that it may be a better choice. Anybody with an A95 that can tell me what it's like to carry around in your pants pocket all day?

LB: There's no camera light enough to convince me of carrying it in my pants - that ain't very safe! This is just my opinion, you are a big boy now, son.

I just got an RMA refund number from newegg to send back my Nikon Coolpix 5200 and it's pretty small / light, and it feels quite unnoticeable in my pocket (like my motorola cell phone). Is the A95 uncomfortable to carry in one's pocket?

One thing that really bothers me, though, is that I don't believe the AiAF can be turned off in Aperture AE or Shutter AE modes on the A520, and I really hate the AiAF. Is this correct?
Little Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 4:06 PM   #4

side-by-side spec comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_a95&show=all

- the A520 has a much smaller CCD sensor which means you will get more noise in your pics.
- 4 batts are better than 2 because the camera will last twice as long.
- the swivel screen will empower you creatively.
- a520 can do movies at 30fps. nice, but takes up a lot of memory and any miniDV will be better. this is a digital camera first, a video camera a distant second.
- SD vs CF, that's subjective. i have a 1GB CF, so i prefer keeping it than buying another format.

I prefer the A95.
sc0rpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5

Quote:
- 4 batts are better than 2 because the camera will last twice as long.
false. they improved power consumption.
atta is offline   Reply With Quote