Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:10 AM   #1

Hi , I bought G6 due to the nice review that it get from the pos in this forum, and indeed it's very good INMHO.

Outdoor picture is nice and crisp, while indoor Picture also comparably good.

But after using it for a while, i noticed that i didn't really use the camera to it's maximum capabilities, eg, i mostly take picture in auto mode.

And also the problem with the G6 is that they are quite heavy so when i take a slow shutter pic, is very easy to shake the camera

i know i must use tripod, but lugging around with tripod on a dinner party is definatelly no no fr me .

I think maybe the less wieght in the SD500 will resulrt in less shaky ??

and also the size and the wieght of the G6 while is not that much, but still making it a little bit of a hassle when i'm attending dinner party and such.

Now i just read the review of the SD500 and it looks nice, small, and most importantly it's a Canon.

Now i want to ask the pros here again,

-Will the SD500 take about the same picture quality as the G6 in Indoor without flash ?

-Is it wise for me to change my G6 to SD500 ?

-Will the SD 500 suffer from untolarable noise in indoor situation such as my Casio Z40 (which is terrible IMHO)

Once agaain i normally take pic in auto mode, but sometimes i like to take pic that's a little bit more advance like capturing the city scene at night, macro stuff, aand i need slow shutter without too much noise,

please advice me .

thx.

10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

Judging from Steve's sample pictures, I don't think you'd notice much difference in image quality.

But heavy objects have more inertia than light ones, so - in theory - the SD500 would be more susceptible to camera shake than the G6.

Another factor, I think, in avoiding camera shake is how easily the camera fits your hands. Personally I like a camera that lets me get a good firm grip on it.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:31 PM   #3

There's only one good reason for you to get the SD500: if the size of the G6 keeps you from taking it with you and thus you're missing out on pictures.

As far as indoor pictures, I'll have to join Herb--the smaller size and lower weight of the SD500 make it much more susceptible to camera shake than the G6 (aside from the nice grip the G6 offers). Unless you have unusually small and oddly shaped hands that the SD500 holds better in your hands than the G6, your camera shake will increase with an SD500.

Further, the lens of the G6 is superior to the SD500, and more importantly, it is MUCH brighter (1-1.5 stops at wide angle and tele), allowing you to take pictures in low light more easily. For example, if you managed to take a no-flash indoor picture at 1/30s with the G6 at wide angle, the SD500 would give you a shutter speed of only 1/15s (assuming same settings otherwise), making a ruined picture due to camera shake much more likely.

Bottom line is, if you find that you leave the G6 at home 90% of the time when you otherwise would have taken an SD500 with you, it wouldn't be a bad idea, but you probably won't be able to take no-flash indoor pictures as easily.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

Any camera is not easy to hold if you shoot in available light indoors without flash, meaning slower shutter speeds. This is not unique and won't be fixed with an SD500 and slower lens, meaning even slower shutter speeds. Lighter is not the answer, but as has been mentioned, if you're not taking the G6 because of it's size in most cases, maybe you should think about the SD500 and using the flash more. You DEFINITELY will never be in the market for a digital SLR if the G6 is too big!

The only thing that might make the SD500 better, and I've not been able to determine this yet, is if it can focus better indoors at all the focal lengths in the zoom range. I've not shot a G6, but I did own a G5 for an extended period that was OK if I kept it at the widest lens setting. If I ever tried zooming in, the AF performance indoors was markedly worse and worse to the point it virtually could not focus at all indoors when zoomed all the way out. It was extremely frustrating to try and use.

Your BEST option if you like shooting indoors in low light is a fast lens and the ability to shoot at an ISO rating of 800 with a camera that has good noise performance at that rating and allows for faster shutter speeds, and today there's not a small digicam on the market that offers all that.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 12:21 PM   #5

yeah nt sure about the handling things,

and i still can carry around my G6 whenever i go, but , i thhought it maybe wise for me if i did'tn have to carry the G6, and carry an SD500 if i can get about the same image quality,

I'm a novice in potography world, and i maynot noticed how good or howbad a camera is, except that from my own experience, i satisfied with my Sony P10, and i don't like the picture quality of Sony T1 ,

And the worse is my Casio ExillimZ40 which is very very bad. even outdoorpicture sometimes gets very noisy

WHat i look in the camera is the Picture quality, I mean no need to be perfect , but just acceptable will do,

not too much noise, and not to dark.

and also i want a camera that can go with me wherever i go,

i can bring G6 with no problem, but still it's better if the SD 500 pic quality is about the same , and i can put it in my poket :P

anyway about the lens, how bright is the gt6 compared to the SD500 ?

and how serious it can affect my pics if i were to shoot in indoor without flash ? (Cause i dun like to use flash to often it's just make the picture a bit unnaturall for me )

And overall quality of the picture, howbad will the SD500 compared to the G6 ?|
noise, brightness, colour , etc ?

is it something that someone novice like me can see the difference clearly?

or it's just a slightly worse , that i would not even noticed it ?

and how wide the SD500 ;ens compared to G6

as i mostly shoot in wide mode only,

how bad the nosie of SD500 compared to G^ since they both have 7megapixels resolution? Since i thought that the more megapixels, the more noise the picture will have.

thx forr all the helps, sorry bout my english :P

oh and another thing, yeah, it's difficult to use the auto focus indoor with G6, even when it has the assist light, but it'sfast, and most of the time i have to manually focus it

i wonder how about the SD 500.

10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:34 PM   #6

I just find that tiny cameras usually have smaller lens and less powerful inbuilt flash. The smaller lens doesn't allow as much light to get in, so this means the need for slow shutter speed and higher chance of motion blurring. A not powerful enough flash can mean inadequate illumination in low light shots. I think that the G6 should be better than that SD500 for hand-held low light conditions....bigger lens and more powerful flash. The G6 also allows external flash to be attached...and I don't think that the SD500 allows for that right? Anyhow..the inbuilt G6 flash has got quite a bit of power in there.

As for the size... I can understand the convenience about cameras that can fit into a pocket. But the penalty to pay for that is smaller lens and smaller flash. The SD500 is lighter than the G6. But the G6 doesn't weigh a ton if you use two hands to hold it in the usual fashion...one hand around the grip, and other other hand underneath to support and stabilise. It's best to use two hands to hold a camera anyhow. It's true that a heavy and bigger camera (but not so heavy and large so that you can't lift it or hold it properly) has more inertia and should be less prone to shaking when it's in your hands...which is why the serious pro cameras have an adequate amount of weight.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 11:17 PM   #7

You should imagine the consequence of owning the SD500. Will you take more pictures because of the convenience of smaller size? What good is it to have a full featured, supersharp camera if it's left at home. A lot of people worry about the absolute physical quality of the photograph rather than the quality of the content. Personally, I'd get the SD500 because I'd use it more. My current Canon S230 gets more use than any camera I've ever owned because it's so convenient to tote. My Nikon 8400 is used for more formal occasions or when the higher quality is necessary.

In fact, I'm planning to switch to the SD400 because it's even smaller and I'm liable to have it with me all the time. I'd lose some pixels but gain a lot of pictures that otherwise wouldn't be taken.

If you're more of a methodical photographer you might be better off with the G6, but if you're more of a "discovery" type photographer go for the smaller camera.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 5:11 PM   #8

rodmeister wrote:
Quote:
You should imagine the consequence of owning the SD500. Will you take more pictures because of the convenience of smaller size? What good is it to have a full featured, supersharp camera if it's left at home. A lot of people worry about the absolute physical quality of the photograph rather than the quality of the content. Personally, I'd get the SD500 because I'd use it more. My current Canon S230 gets more use than any camera I've ever owned because it's so convenient to tote. My Nikon 8400 is used for more formal occasions or when the higher quality is necessary.

In fact, I'm planning to switch to the SD400 because it's even smaller and I'm liable to have it with me all the time. I'd lose some pixels but gain a lot of pictures that otherwise wouldn't be taken.

If you're more of a methodical photographer you might be better off with the G6, but if you're more of a "discovery" type photographer go for the smaller camera.
Really goodpost!! Obviously someone who is educated in the subject.

If I may, I would like to suggest the Canon S70. It's got more manual controls than theSD500without the bulk of the G6. The G6 is a very large camera and I know I would feel like a real goof carrying it aroundat every social engagement I attended.

Also, does anyoneknowif the LCDs crack on the SD400 or SD500? I've read complaints about thishappening on the olderSD200 and SD300.

Thanks all.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:40 AM   #9

"The G6 is a very large camera and I know I would feel like a real goof carrying it around at every social engagement I attended."

Not sure why you'd feel like a real goof. I wouldn't mind carrying a laptop-size camera around at a social engagement, as long as the pictures turn out real good.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:02 AM   #10

I'd like to suggest that you consider monopod vs switching cameras. Even a basic Manfrotto will take some of the weight off your hands and provide a stable platform for shooting. Plus, it's pretty easy to carry the camera on the monopod when you move around. DOn;t worry about feeling like a goof. Go for the image quality every time, otherwise what's the point?