Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:39 PM   #1

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I just bought as S1 IS and am very happy with it so far. I am using an old Kingston 1GB CF with it and want to make sure that is OK.

Here are some calculations I did that I would like verified, followed by a few questions. I'm trying to determine what the fastest card I can get without wasting money and what is the slowest card I can use in the camera including 30fps Fine video and some burst mode. Thanks in advance.

My calculations:
KB/s = kilobytes/s, Mb/s = megabits/s, MB/s = megabytes/s

Lexar says 1x = 150 KB/s = 1.2 Mbs = .15 MB/s
I really wish all manufacturers would use this unit as well as USB being specified in this unit as well. Helps with apples - apples comparisons.

USB 1.1 = 12 Mbs = 1.5 MB/s = 10x
USB 2.0 = 480 Mbs = 60 MB/s = 400x

Do these calcs seem correct? I used factors of 1000, not 1024 when dividing kilos.

Questions:
1) I measured 3 of my cards using HDTach and a USB 1.1 card reader. They all read .9MB/s which leads me to believe that they all were bottlenecked by the USB 1.1 reader. You agree?

2) How fast is the "High Speed" CF card that comes with the S1 IS? Neither Canon or San Disk tech suppoort couold tell me. The Canon guy told me abnout HD Tach, but it looks like I need a USB 2.0 interface and reader to see for sure as I mentioned in question 1.

3) What is the fastest card that the S1 would beneift from?

4) What is the slowest card that I can use in the S1 to do busrt photos and video at 30 fps fine?

5) Given that I have an S1 would the only time I saw a benefit fomr a 40x or 80x card be when transferring to the PC using a USB 2.0 reader? Or would I see a significant perfromance boost in the camera as well?

6) The Kingston websites list the following for my card speeds.
What does this range mean? What "X" is it most likely? Using my calcs from above these x conversions seem pretty high for a "standard" card.
3.7 - 6MB/sec. read rate ~ 24x - 40x
1.5 - 5MB/sec. write rate ~ 10x - 33x

7) In general what "X" would most of you agree would be "high speed". The Canon manual says that a "high speed" card is needed, but I am not sure how fast that means.

Thanks again to all of you that read this and take the time to answer. Was this the best forum to post to or should I have posted to the CF forum?

jraggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 3:30 PM   #2

I posted a link from another site, where users tested various CF cards with the S1 IS. Search this forum to see if you can find that post.

It seems that the minimum required speed for the S1 IS video seems to be something like 2MB/s. Based on the tests (I mention above), most of the so-called regular speed cards don't seem to be enough. You need something like 20x or higher for the video. I personally bought a 40x Lexar card, which is more than adequate. I personally don't see much benefit in getting a fast card...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:30 PM   #3

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
I posted a link from another site, where users tested various CF cards with the S1 IS. Search this forum to see if you can find that post.

It seems that the minimum required speed for the S1 IS video seems to be something like 2MB/s. Based on the tests (I mention above), most of the so-called regular speed cards don't seem to be enough. You need something like 20x or higher for the video. I personally bought a 40x Lexar card, which is more than adequate. I personally don't see much benefit in getting a fast card...

Thanks for the reply. I looked, but could not find the post you referred to. Could you please post a link?

Also, can somebody please validate my calcualtions and assumptions above? I want to make an educated decision regarding buying a new card and/or reader. I also like to confirm that I understand things correctly.

Also, do you guys think this would be better posted in the CF topic?

Thanks,
John
jraggio is offline   Reply With Quote