Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 19, 2002, 1:07 AM   #1

Default S230 Red Eye problem?

Hi, I am planning on buying a S230, but one thing I've been seeing through some reviews is that the red eye function on the camera dont work. Is this true? Thanks for the help
CRaVeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2002, 7:32 AM   #2

I'm a newbie with a Canon S30. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I have a problem with red eye on my Canon. This may be my fault but I just correct it with the image software. Problem solved.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 3:28 PM   #3

Default Re: S230 Red Eye problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRaVeman
Hi, I am planning on buying a S230, but one thing I've been seeing through some reviews is that the red eye function on the camera dont work. Is this true? Thanks for the help
Red eye is all about geometry. The S230 is *small* and the flash is very close to the lens. Any small P&S with built in flash will have the same issues. The flash is too close to the lens. The pre-flash "tricks" only work marginally, IMHO. Also, different eye types or more prone to red eye. Also, people looking *directly* into the lens will make things worse.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:09 AM   #4

Default S230 red eye problem

Here is my two cents contribution on the red eye problem. I have found it happens more if the subject is standing too near to the camera and as was said previously, if they are looking directly into the lens. Try and take them from an angle and use the built in red-eye reduction lamp on the camera, which fires first and the the main flash fires. Hopes this helps in some way.

R. :P
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:22 PM   #5

The best way to deal with the nasty redeye with the S230 is to find good imaging correction software. I upload my pictures to Shutterfly and their redeye correction is awesome. The only problem with Shuttefly is that you can't download the fixed version, you can only print it. Redeye, however, is a small price to pay, given how easy it is to fix, for such a compact portable camera, in my humble opinion.
A
Aaron Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 9:17 PM   #6

Default Shutterfly

Just one note, in case you care. You can get the corrected versions back from shutterfly, but you can't download them one at a time. You can buy an "archive" CD from them, that has your original uploads and corrected images on it, for all the images in an album or albums.
dzane is offline   Reply With Quote