Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2002, 4:45 PM   #1

Default Does the S30 have serious out-of-focus problems?

I want to get an S30 but I'm a little worried about some comments I've read about it having focusing and indoor flash problems, can somebody tell me if these are serious problems that should keep me from buying the camera?
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:20 PM   #2
PSP

I'm currently using a Canon S30, among several others. It's a great little camera--nice features, excellent image quality, and I don't find any repetitive problems with focus or anything else.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:31 PM   #3

Thank you PSP. That's a reassuring answer, particularly coming from someone who has experience with several cameras.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:12 AM   #4

If you're looking at the S30, also check out the S230. It got a better rating at www.megapixel.net
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:31 AM   #5

Thank you for the tip. I'd been looking at the S230 as my other choice and this definitely helped me make up my mind. I'm getting one tomorrow.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 6:22 AM   #6

Yes it does, I wish I would never have bought it. But its too late they will not take it back.
cnw4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:26 PM   #7

To think that I almost bought an S30 last night! I went to Best Buy to get the S230 but they were sold out, plus I tried the zoom and it didn't look that great. I was going to get the S30 in the end but the lens cover seemed kind of flimsy, so I ended up getting the Olympus C-50 zoom. Well, I'm VERY disappointed. The pictures look grainy, it has looooong shutter lag, and it has terrible red-eye problems. Now I wish I hadn't sold my C-3000 zoom, shutter lag may have been long, but at least the pictures were great. I will try to return the C-50z and get something else.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:35 AM   #8

Default Low-Light Indoors Pictures

It seems like you're referring to problems about taking low-light indoors pictures with the currect crop of compact digital cameras.

I've put together an explanation about why it seems to be such a problem. Read this first before you keep on the buying-returning cycle.

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_le..._lowlight.html

Comments and feedback are welcomed.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 8:42 PM   #9

I after some looking purched a S30 around 3 mts back, there has been no problems.

Focus, at close up if i keep this unit steady, the focus is spot on.
Flash, in doors, gee the s30 is so good, try some of the features.

I am using a canon s520 printer, with a s30 setting of 1200*1600 which gives a near prefect A4 prints on pro gloss photo paper.

As this is my first dig. what did i ever use film for?

As for the slide cover, whats the problem. if you like leave it open as settings will allow the camera to shut down after a little time. (works well with the water proof housing).
But using the slide cover, the unit works just fine.

The only emprovement that i would suggest, could be a 5:1 or 6:1 optical zoom?

Mine came with a extra battery, 128meg card which gives me around 220 images at above setting.
rmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote