Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:19 PM   #1

Default A-200

Can someone with a Powershot A-200 tell me how long it takes between pressing the button and the picture being taken? I only ask because it takes mine about 10 seconds to take the picture. Often when something happens, by the time I push the button, the picture-worthy shot has finished. If the camera is defective, who should I talk to about getting it fixed? Please let me know.
renob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 5:58 PM   #2

Default Delay on A-200

Read your question about the A-200 and was wondering how you take your pics? Do you have the green square or squares in the middle of the screen which show that focus and everything else have been set? Normally you just push the shutter release button down half ways and when the camera has finished with the settings and beeps a few times, you then press the shutter release down the full way and take your picture. I've never heard of it taking so long... make sure you haven't got the self-timer set to ten seconds?

R. 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 8:09 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm sure the timer isn't on. The people who I bought the camera from were completely unhelpful with telling me how to take faster pictures. Usually I see something happening, I pull out my camera, and push the button down all the way. I feel it focusing for a second, then it sits there for about 10 more seconds. I'm intrigued by the beeping that you described, can you tell me how you take pictures? I'm going to experiment with what you said. TIA
Old Dec 23, 2002, 6:06 PM   #4

Default A-200 problem

The beeping I refer to is the camera giving an audio warning letting you know that it has set the exposure, white balance and focus. It is advised that you go through this procedure everytime when taking a picture but I've read in earlier postings that some user just push the shutter release button down all the way and don't wait for the camera to fix the above settings. I'd like to know what their results were like. If you camera is still taking what seems like a very long time to take a picture, can you make sure the batteries are fully charged, the CF card is working properly and there is no visible damage to the body of the camera? If nothing turns up during these checks, it might well be an internal problem.
R. 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 2:03 AM   #5

Default thanks

I made sure to check all those things before posting here. I guess the next step is to find a knowledgeable place in town that can give me a decent opinion. I should probably make sure I can consistently duplicate the problem so I don't look crazy. Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:17 AM   #6

renob123, I have been using an A200 for about 2 months now. Yes, you should follow rimbo's advice on how to press the shutter button. Press it halfway, wait for the light to come on (indicating it has focused) then press it all the way down. Usually, in an interior shot, it will take longer for the camera to focus thus taking longer for the light to come on (it will have a quick audible double beep). As for the long lag, I have that problem too. Although it's not quite 10 seconds, more like about 5 to 8 seconds. But this lag is not "taking the picture" lag but the camera "writing" to the CF card. Obviously, this affects the next shot because you can't re-load and take another shot quickly. One way to get around this problem is when you use the multiple shots mode. In this mode, you just keeping pressing on the shutter button and it will take one shot per second.
Mister_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:55 AM   #7

My lag time problem happens before the camera is loading to the flash. I'm fine with that time. However, my camera takes a long time before it even beeps. I pushed the button all the way down last night, it autofocused...autofocused again (there was no movement in the shot btw)...then sat there for about 15 seconds before I gave up on the shot. I wish there were local vendors that sold this camera, I can't find it anywhere except online stores. How am I supposed to explain my problem to them?