Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:59 PM   #1

Default oh oh, S230 problem??

When I was taking pictures today I saw a light blue vertical line going right thru my camera's LCD.
Can someone please tell me if this is a defect or something that can happen from time to time.
Thanks for your help.
daveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:11 AM   #2

Was this when you were facing the sun? If so, it's the overwhelmed bucket-brigade CCD. It doesn't affect the picture itself, it's just on the LCD.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 6:02 PM   #3

Default S230 problem

Could you give some more details of what you were taking pictures of, the time of day, did you change any settings on the camera, lighting conditions etc.

R.
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Well, I was in a busy shopping mall with a lot of bright lights. The camera was pretty much on full auto w/flash. I may however, have had it in the Movie mode at the time
(not recording). Not 100% sure.
So as MR. implies, I should just consider this as an occasional occurance and try to ignore it.? Or could there be a malfunction of sorts?
david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:00 PM   #5

Whoops. Just realized that my author name is different as I logged on with a different user name. I am AKA Daveyboy. ops:
david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 4:12 PM   #6

As I mentioned above, LCD's have problems with extreme point sources of light. The individual pixel's contents overflow into the adjacent ones above and below, creating a streak from top to bottom of the image (it's usually white, though). This should NOT affect the image stored on the card from the CCD (assuming a modern well made camera). Here's a sample of the stored image which had created that same effect on my LCD:

http://www.pbase.com/image/9401963/large

Once upon a time, video camera CCDs were affected by this, and images were degraded. In the present instance, it's just an annoyance, forcing you to check your saved image to ensure it's ok.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 6:20 PM   #7

Default oh, oh S230 problem

I think what you are describing is a single bright light source at the edge of your picture frame. I've noticed it aswell both indoors and outdoors especially on a sunny day. If you zoom in on your subject or move to a different position, you will get rid of this 'intruder'. The old photographic adage applies here, try and keep your light source behind you. I hope this helps.

R.
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 12:02 PM   #8

thanks for the great explaination, guys. btw...nice pics MR!!
daveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote