Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 10, 2005, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi everyone.....looking for a very good little easy to use camera ?

:|

Who says you need to put in a lot of money to get a small and very complete camera that makes pretty good pictures ?

Who says that you need more megapixels to make ALL the difference ??? sensor & lens quality are so important too and here is a good way to prove it. Pictures don`t lie and give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

This is a 3 M/pixels believe it or not and its really quite cheap.

Go to this site to look at a couple of pics ( i will regularly update it ).

Look for the album "TAKEN WITH CANON A510"

http://www.pixagogo.com/PhilippeLuyckx

If you want to read a couple of conclusive reviews go look at :

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...0_a520-review/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A510/A51A.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona510/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a510.html

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 7:23 PM   #2

Very nice pictures. I have ordered an a510 and am hoping my pics are as good as yours. Are any of the pics taken with special settings? If so, which and how. Or are they all on auto? Thanks for sharing.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 7:28 PM   #3

Very nice quality pictures. Did you post-process any of them using software or are theyright out ofthe camera without any software enhancement?
lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:27 AM   #4

They were all taken in Auto mode except for the night pics....they were made in manual mode because of the needfor longer exposure.

No post-processing...they are all 100% original
Old May 11, 2005, 4:21 AM   #5

just got one too, its a really nice camera. i hope i can learn how to take good pictures with it just by hanging out on this forum.

here are some pics i took with it

http://www.pbase.com/jomi_01
jomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 2:05 PM   #6

I think very few people will be disappointed with it - overall it's one of the best deals for a very good quality camera in stores at this time.

Like some, I'm a bit disappointed to see Canon switch to SD cards (A510/A520/S2) as it may slightly prohibit some who have collected tons of CF cards from upgrading, but all must change with time I guess.

I'll be doing a short review on the A510 on my site sometime this week, but can say now it will get good grades.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 2:43 AM   #7

Which site might this be ?
Old May 18, 2005, 12:09 AM   #8

guiller,

It's listed in my profile, but the URL is:

http://www.digitalcamerabasics.com

Currently I only have the A510 listed on the good camera page based on other reviews and user emails, but I now have one of these cameras in my house to replace a broken A70, so once I can get out over the next few days to take some more shots then my own review will be posted on the site.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:29 AM   #9

I have posted it :

I'm not so pleased by myA510 in replacement of my A60,

inallsituations the A60 didn't failed, but withthe A510 about

10% of my shots are not good:

-I have sometimes noise even at iso50 in some blue areas or on skin,

-a lot of zoomed photos orinterior photoshave blur and it seems

like focusing is made on 50cm when it should be 5 meters, or5 meters

when it should be infinite,

-almost allinterior portraits or group portraits with flash arereally too yellow,

and the comparison with auto White Balance of my A60 in these conditions is

incredible, I thinkcanon changes the flash but don't change the AWB setting with

this new flash.

-you can't do anything for 8 seconds when taking a photo with flash (even if you want to see the resulting image or take another shot without flash).

-you know you have to change batteries 30 seconds before it's off, and it's difficult to take a shot without moving with only one hand (I prefer 4 AA with a 500 shot capacity!).

-the only thing that isreally better, iso200 shots are quite aceptable without too much noise and LCD and viewfinderare better.

What I really hate is the yellow/brown inlow light interior with flash and the auto focusfailure

What I should do now is to put a link to show what I mean (when I will have understand how to make it with my new provider and find shots I have forgotten to delete!)
claudemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:05 AM   #10

I don`t totally agree with your comments.

Noise at 50 iso is rare....this camera is very good compared to it`s competitors concerning noise level.

It is true that when you get the low batteries warning you don`t have much time left for extra pics but then again whe are talking about AA batteries,you should always carry 2 or 4 around in reserve.....they are very affordable and much more practical then lithiums.By the way i do have time for a good 300 shots before they go out.

You say that 10% of your shots are not good...this seems to be slightly too high...but it is normal that you cannot get all your shots perfectly like you hoped for.

I`ve had quite a few digital cameras and believe me when i say that there is no 100% perfect camera,each one has it`s good,average and bad features....if it comes as close as possible to your needs then you shoud be happy.

How many times does it happen that you expect a picture to come up perfect only to see that it failed to do so...exposure not rightor simply too blurry....the opposite also happens quite often.Sometimes your best pics arethe onesyou just took quickly in a flash without expecting a terrific result.

Try to make 3 or 4 pics in a row of the same subject and you`ll see that they don`t all come out the same....for me the solution is simple...i always try to take 2 or 3 pics of my subject,each one with different settings....this way you are almost sure to get it right each time.This here is possible when you see the price of SD cards......ibought a1gb SDcard for 88 euro and i can make 615 pics at its maximum resolution (2048x1536).

You are completely right when you talk about the recharging time of the flash..it`s one ofit`s- points probably due to 2 AA batterirs instead of 4 ?

Anyway take a look at my pictures....they are all straight out of the camera..no post-processing .... the indoors ones look ok to me and many have been taken at maximum zoom (140mm) ,they are sharp enough for me.The night pics are also pretty good considering that we are talking about a very low priced camera......this camera cost me 200 euro,my other camera which is a Panasonic FZ-5 cost me 430 euro.... the question is : is the FZ-5 worth more then double the price ?

http://www.pixagogo.com/PhilippeLuyckx