Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:46 AM   #1

Default Help with the S230

Hi, I just received the S230 and I'm trying to learn how to use it. I would like to email some pictures but it seems that I have to download them first. I was under the impression that you can connect and send without downloading. Am I doing something wrong? I took a few pictures on the M1 mode and they were not very clear. I'm moving up to the M2 and see how that works. Thanks for any help you can give
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:06 AM   #2

Hi Sunshine,

In order to email photos to someone, you must first get them into the computer you'll send the email from. You can do that with a USB connection, but most often use either a card-reader connected to the computer (easier and faster than USB to the camera) or a PCMCIA adapter that I plug into my notebook computer.

I'm not sure why your photos have come out "not very clear". Do you mean they are not sharp? Or are they too dark or too light?

Holding such a small camera steady can be a bit of a challenge, as can indoor exposures if you're not using flash.

Personally I keep the camera in the M2 poistion all the time, with the highest resolution and least compression selected.

I am VERY pleased with the resulting photos I get... the S230 is a terrific camera!
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 5:34 PM   #3

Thanks,
:? I really feel stupid but I need a little more clarification. If I use a card reader do I still have to download the pictures or will the computer read the picture selected and pull it into the email? When I said it wasn't very clear, I meant sharp focus, but I'm taking with M2 and they are much better. I'm learning.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 6:13 PM   #4

Default Help with the S230

Sunshine, here is my two cents on what you should try. I too have a USB card reader attached to my computer and when I am finished taking pictures, I take the card out of the camera, put it into the reader and go into either My Computer or what ever software I am using and find the card reader which appears as a 'drive' in Windows Explorer. You will obviously have to install driver software for the reader (Windows 98 only - as far as I'm aware) and you just use it like the hard disk or if you have a Zip disk attached. In your email program just send the image as an attachment.

R.
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine
Thanks,
:? I really feel stupid but I need a little more clarification. If I use a card reader do I still have to download the pictures or will the computer read the picture selected and pull it into the email?
Yes you will still need to download. But with the correct drivers, the card in the USB card/reader should appear as another drive on your computer. You can just drag and drop (or copy/paste) the files to your desktop or a folder.

Most people compain of blurry pictures with the 230. Because the camera is so small and light, it is much more sensitive to your body's movement when taking pictures. Try to brace the camera on something stationary if possible (a wall or table for instance). When put on a tripod or braced properly, the pictures turn out very, very sharp.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote