Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 11, 2005, 9:33 AM   #1

I saw onsome forum posy that you can get better focusing by turning off the AiAF auto focus on the A510 and instead use the center focus option. Does anyone have an opinion on this option?
lcmb11444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 1:59 PM   #2

It's almost mistake proof with these settings in good light conditions. Awesome results for a 3mp camera.
Shooting mode: P
Focus mode - use center point; turn AiAF** off
Metering - Evaluative
Sensitivity - 100
Exposure Compensation: -.07
Picture setting: Vivid
Auto focus assist lamp- ON
Red-eye mode - OFF
White balance - AUTO
Digital Zoom - OFF
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:10 PM   #3

I can think of few cases where AIAF has valid uses. It certainly should be turned off if you know what you want the camera to focus on- something AIAF isn't guaranteed to do. Learn how to focus then re-compose if the subject is off-center. Chances are you can set the focus and exposure separately (AE Lock). Read the manual as that process differs from camera to camera. Learn how to do those things and you'll eventually never use AIAF.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 5:51 PM   #4

KingsX:

Sensitivity - 100

Exposure Compensation: -.07

Could I ask what you mean by the "Sensitivity" setting? I can't seem to find that in the manual. Also, is -.07 for Exposure compensation about - 1/3 or -2/3? Thanks.
Old May 11, 2005, 6:27 PM   #5

I'm a newbie - I just figured out that Sensitivity must be the ISO setting. But I'm still confused about the -.07 setting for exposure compensation? Thanks.

Larry
Old May 11, 2005, 9:21 PM   #6

"Sensitivity" is the same thing as ISO (film) SETTING, which can be set at ISO 50, 100, 200 and 400. The default setting is AUTO, meaning the camera sets the rating depending on the scene you are shooting. If you want the cleanest (noisless) image, you shoot at the lowest rating of 50. If you shoot in low light situations or without flash you have to adjust the setting closer to 400, which needs less light but also results in a very grainy (noisy) image. Think of these settings like a roll of film. Back in the day we used to have to load one type of film and shoot all of our exposures based on the films speed. Today with a digital camera we can adjust that rating from exposure to exposure instead of by the roll. Take one scene and shoot an exposure at each setting then look at the results. That will give you an idea of the relationship between ISO speed and the resulting "grain" in each image.

EXPOSURE COMPENSATION is the process of giving more or less exposure without changing the ISO setting. The Minus sign gives less exposure where the plus sign gives more exposure.

You need to look up some online lessons to exposure that goes into this process in detail to really understand this, like here:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...exposure.shtml

Just go to google and type in "photography exposure". Read and, above all, take lots of pictures. Learning the technical end helps, but the experience to taking a lot of pictures and seeing what works and what doesn't goes a long way. You've got it good today. I spent a lot of money on rolls of film to learn the same thing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote